Project Associate/Administrative Finance-European Union - Confidence Building Measures Programme
The new phase of EU Confidence Building Measures Programme, funded by the European Union and implemented by UNDP has the overall objective to contribute to the facilitation of the settlement of the Transnistrian conflict by supporting the increase of confidence between Chisinau and Tiraspol through joint initiatives involving local authorities, civil society organizations and other stakeholders from both sides of the river.
- To contribute to economic and social development by ensuring a more equal access to the opportunities provided by the AA and its DCFTA and integration between the two banks of the Nistru River;
- To tackle the growing disparity between the Transnistrian Region and the rest of the country by supporting local development and CSOs;
- To continue supporting the sectoral rapprochement in pilot sectors (i.e. Culture and others) and to progressively include Transnistria in Moldovan-wide development initiatives in order to facilitate the future reintegration while limiting the development gap between both banks;
- To support the activities of media on both banks of Nistru river through common media production.
The programme will represent a framework for engaging in development interventions across the security zone on both sides of the Nistru/Dniestr River, in line with agreements reached in the 5+2 negotiation process. As such, it is comprised of a series of activities that will strengthen, regularize and intensify interaction between otherwise divided societies, aiming to establish this interaction as a norm. It looks to deal strategically with barriers to cooperation experienced by all development cooperation actors working in Transnistria by building the trust towards such actions and broadening opportunities for engagement for a wide range of actors. Special focus will be given to balancing the actual support of the programme to communities on both banks of the Nistru/Dniestr River.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of confidence building projects through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Administrative/Finance Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Administrative/Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Administrative/Finance Associate in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, will ensure the provision of financial and administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country office, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Coordinate and prepare documents necessary for the launch of procurement processes and issue contracts;
- Supervise other support staff (Procurement and Contracts Associate, Project Assistant, Drivers) and coordinate short-term consultants.
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination of administrative matters;
- Monitor compliance with both UNDP and EU standards and ensure quality control of programme filing systems and files;
- Provide advice to the team on financial and administrative issues.
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Upon request, prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UNDP and EU standard templates
- Prepare other recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget/financial preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the UNDP and EU Delegation with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks as required.
- In accordance with the Work Plan coordinate and contribute to the procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Prepare the procurement plans for the projects and monitoring of their implementation
- Create and mange e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the European Union - Confidence Building Measures Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in economics, finance, accounting, law, public administration or another related field.
- At least seven years of complex experience, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area is required.
- At least five years of previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is compulsory. Previous experience with EU programmes/UNDP is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is an employer devoted to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both women and men.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.