Administration Assistant G5- Fixed Term- Maputo
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaus (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of Unit, Chief, Administration Officer, or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff
This position will be with WFP Mozambique Country Operation (CO) and requires the engagement of an Administration Assistant within the Facilities Management team.
The Facility Management Team creates and manages safe and efficient infrastructures to allow the best working conditions possible for WFP staff. The team needs to deliver innovative services to enhance, maintain, and sustain the workspaces. Working towards consistently introducing the industry-leading best practices within Facility Management and contributing to making WFP a great place to work and where employees can thrive.
To support the delivery of quality, customer-focused, value for money administrative services that enable staff in country/location operations to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
The Administration assistant will be responsible of the admin tasks related to the area of Facility Management at CO and to provide guidance to SOs in the area of Facility Management.
The assignment needs to be oriented to continuously improving the standards of the country’s facilities and engineering projects regarding quality standards, financial and environmental sustainability.
The Administration assistant will report to the Head of Facility Management team.
- Has demonstrated ability in managing repair and maintenance program, including procuring of services and their quality control;
- Exhibits ability to convert team macro goals and business plans into clear actions to support the implementation of the team work;
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability in WFP context;
- Has demonstrated a knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and be capable to apply this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services;
- Has provided coaching or training to new staff members within area of expertise;
- Has demonstrated an ability to perform all routine administrative activities in line with WFPs operating standards through day to day work;
- Has supported in providing ad-hoc guidance to new staff members.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Business Support Services & Reporting||Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights.|
|Internal Controls & Risk Management||Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to immediate client’s critical activities.|
|Resource Management||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services||Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.|
|Customer Focus||Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.|
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
Type of contract: Fixed Term G5
Duration: One year renewable
No later than: 03.12.2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable, University degree in Business/Public Administration, or other relevant field relating to office management and administration can be an asset.
Language: General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the Portuguese and English
Check the provision of a range of services, including facilities management and maintaining information, to contribute to the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment;
- Coordinate with the Compound maintenance team for any repairs and maintenance in the CO premises;
- Administering and oversee external suppliers/service providers for offices cleaning, drinking water supply, stationery suppliers, cleaning products, etc.. Including performance assessment and managing of relative POs;
- Be a first point of contact for CO internal queries (requests for office maintenance, stationery, furniture, office space allocation, etc. to facilitate the provision of efficient and effective resolution of daily admin issues;
- Focal point for Vendor/MPO creation and payments within Facility Management Unit;
- Focal point for the WFP’s annual environmental sustainability reporting exercise in the areas of: energy/fuel use, water use and wastewater disposal, waste generation, and management, including contribution to eventual implementation of the environmental Management system (EMS) in the country.
- Provide support to the SOs in the area of the facility management, including support in the creation of SOP/Manuals;
- Other related duties;