Project Management Specialist (CRM)
New York City (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for positioning UNDP as the world’s leading global development agency, promoting its global authority and thought leadership on sustainable development and the interconnected issues of poverty, inequality, and climate change. BERA leads and supports UNDP in building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances essential to achieving its mission. Creating strong political and financial backing for UNDP by providing partners and supporters with a clear understanding of what UNDP does and how our mission, capabilities and flagship services relate to them. The Bureau leads UNDP’s work on innovative and diversified partnerships and ways of financing the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. It is also responsible for global campaigns on critical development issues, which aim to inform government policies and build partnerships around high-impact solutions. BERA coordinates and sets corporate standards across the functions of partnerships, marketing and communications within UNDP and leads on internal communications.
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy is positioned around three service lines; Public Partnership; Advocacy, Marketing and Communications; and Private and Finance Partners, all working in close collaboration and coordination under the guidance of the Directorate and with the support of the Management Support Unit and Strategic Analysis and Engagement team.
BERA manages a network of Representation Offices (Brussels, Copenhagen, Geneva, Tokyo and Washington D.C) and Regional Teams in five hubs (Africa, Arab States, Asia Pacific, Europe and CIS, and Latin American and the Caribbean) co-led with Regional Bureaux, all of which play a critical role in audience centric communications and management and strengthening of relationships with Public and Private Partners to help build a strong brand for UNDP within the local ecosystem.
As part of UNDP’s Digital Transformation Strategy, BERA is leading an organizational pilot of a customer relationship management (CRM) platform for UNDP offices. UNDP’s CRM pilot aims to test a CRM solution. #NextGenUNDP boldly promises to create new solutions, build collaboration platforms, and spark new partnerships, building on UNDP’s existing assets and strengths, particularly its convening power, which a CRM system can help achieve.
Under the guidance and the supervision of the Director of the Public Partnerships Group in BERA, the CRM Project Management Specialist will be responsible for the following areas of work:
Management of the CRM Pilot project, including regular engagement with internal (Regional Bureaux, Country Offices, Bureau for Management Services, UN Agencies, etc.) and external stakeholders (High Level Government Officials, Donors, etc.) on decision-making and meeting CRM pilot deliverables;
Engaging relevant teams on procuring and engaging with the CRM vendor;
Monitoring, knowledge management, training and support to pilot participants;
Support to policy development for CRM adoption.
Duties and Responsibilities
The specific tasks of the CRM Project Management Specialist will be compromised of the three broad functions below:
Overall Management of the CRM Pilot Project
- Develop the project workplan and leads the implementation in coordination with BERA groups and BMS with guidance from the Digital Governance Group as necessary.
- Design, convene and guide an inter-bureau working groups for the CRM pilot, which will jointly identify and agree on the parameters of the CRM pilot (including, but not limited to; participation of offices and development of metrics for success).
- Engage with technical teams as needed, including Management, to identify and select the CRM solution.
- Liaise and collaborate with the CRM vendor to design plan and coordinate roll-out activities with participating UNDP offices.
- Assess compatibility with other digital solutions being implemented at the corporate level by the DGG and ExO, as well as central and/or regional bureau-specific initiatives.
- In coordination with the BERA management Support Unit (MSU) and the Public Partnerships Group, is responsible for implementation plans, including procurement, project financial management/ and the budget allocation is effectively expended.
- Leverage the CRM champion role of the BERA ASG to ensure maximum participation and support to the CRM initiative across the organization.
Training and Guidance
- Design and develop in-house training initiatives for the pilot countries and bureaux and CRM working group to identify to both ensure maximum return on investment of the pilot CRM system while identifying new modules and functions that may be desirable, testing them throughout for utility and purpose.
- Develop guidance materials and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for participating UNDP offices on the CRM pilot, and with the CRM working group, establishing procedures to engage regularly throughout the pilot on adoption and troubleshooting.
- Ensure that all lessons learned as related to technical, institutional and working/cultural are captured for a comprehensive lessons learned as an important input to the final post-pilot decision making process.
- Develop any further component/module-specific training as necessary, including on demand from country offices and other business units as may be required, working closely with the vendor.
- Consult with sister agencies on their experience of CRM implementation, including UNICEF, WFP and UNV, and collaborate with UNFPA and UNWOMEN who are also seeking to implement their own CRMs; identify what features of a CRM may lend themselves to advancing UN reform by sharing basic shared information on partners.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Produce a mid-term progress report of implementation and lessons learned as well as a final pilot-end report with a recommendation of scaling or termination, reflecting on the CRM pilot’s performance and results.
- Ensure that the final report includes a clear set of policy and technical recommendations for consideration to inform further the institutional requirements to effectively adopt a CRM system at scale.
- Regularly monitor progress of activities of the engaged business units against the approved work plan.
- Identify project risks and escalate as necessary via the BERA m.anagement
- Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to plan and produce quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations.
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match target audiences.
- Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with external clients and internal stakeholders in identifying needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in international development, international affairs, public, business administration, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of five (5) years (seven if only first degree) of professional work experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility;
- Experience in managing and supervising projects aimed at change management and internal communication;
- Expertise and experience in adopting and managing platforms for information/knowledge management, e.g. customer relationship management strongly preferred;
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly.
- Fluency in English;
- Knowledge of French or Spanish is an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.