Asst Representative (Prog)
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Assistant Representative - Programme
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Representative - Programme will function under direct supervision of the UNHCR Representative. Advice and operational support may also be provided by the Director/Deputy Director of the Bureau or the Regional Representative and by other senior staff in the Bureau and in the support Divisions at Headquarters. The incumbent will advise and assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR¿s programme activities and issues of concern within the country operation in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization¿s mandate. The incumbent will also have direct working relationship/arrangement with the Head of UNHCR offices in the country operation. S/he will also have a responsibility to monitor, coach, and guide and intervene with the staff within the country.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR¿s programme activities within the country of assignment in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization¿s mandate.
- Verify the standards of assistance for project activities at country level, ensuring consistency with UNHCR's country strategy and policies, and their integration with protection functions.
- Assist the Representative in developing contacts and networks with other government agencies, UN agencies, and NGOs to foster mutual cooperation and ensure that activities are coordinated and integrated to best effect.
- Develop country-specific management tools for project monitoring and control; ensure the effective and efficient use of financial and material resources within the rules and procedures of UNHCR.
- Manage personnel through regular performance appraisals, coaching, and assessments of staff training and development needs
- Ensure that essential services for the general welfare of staff i.a. living and working conditions, health, education, recreation, etc. are in place. This includes the establishment of proper and efficient mechanisms to assist staff suffering from work-related pressure or post traumatic stress.
- Play an active role in the Security Management Team (SMT) in the relevant country and the inter-agency security and contingency planning process; ensure that appropriate security measures and evacuation plans are in place to protect UNHCR staff; and that security guidelines and procedures as outlined by the Designated Offcial and UNDSS are complied with.
- Report and provide recommendations/solutions to the Representative on political, socio-economic, and cultural developments that may effect the situation of refugees in the country.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Representative as required.
- Set and enforce parameters, criteria and deadlines for the design, review and report of operations.
- Clear the submission of the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as of funding submissions, appeals and report.
- Negotiate implementing partner agreements.
- Represent UNHCR in UN and other operations management and programmatic fora.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
- Approve recommendations and advice on the technical capacity required of UNHCR and its partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; Economics; International Relations;
Political Science; International Law; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Learning Prog; HCR Management Lrng Prg; HCR Protection Learning Prg;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Solid UNHCR experience from both the Field and Headquarters.
- UNHCR specific learning/ training activities (i.e. Management Learning Programme, Protection Learning Programme).
*EX-Experience in international organization (United Nations or similar);
EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
EX-HQs experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
* MG-5 years of managerial experience;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X007L4 - Political Awareness Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).