Snr Learning Development Off
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Learning Development Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
As part of a talent development approach, the role of the job is to develop relevant corporate learning and development strategies and designing and delivering customized solutions for colleagues in functional areas, managers and leaders in order to improve performance and contribute to career pathways. In doing so this will contribute towards building a positive UNHCR learning culture. In addition, the incumbent will also lead the design and deliver of learning and development activities related to Bureaux and operational priorities.
The incumbent also manages a team of colleagues or supervises staff and prepares the submission for the budget and activities under her/his responsibility. The incumbent will take decisions regarding expenditure of funds and is tasked with establishing and maintaining efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UNHCR financial, administrative, and staff rules and regulations.
The job requires the incumbent to work both internally with the Divisions and Bureaux and in coordination with regional and field offices and external partners concerning capacity building and awareness raising activities to ensure appropriate cross-linkages of all UNHCR learning and development programmes with functional and management/leadership component.
The incumbent manages a portfolio of relevant activities in the Unit and supervises staff members whose performance the incumbent will monitor and whom the incumbent will guide and support in their day-to-day functions.
S/he will work with external service providers ¿ consultants, e-learning developers, printing and production companies etc. and be responsible for preparing requests for proposals for acquiring goods and services.
The incumbent establishes strong linkages with subject matter experts from other UN agencies and non-governmental agencies as necessary on various issues regarding the development of learning programmes and the provision of training on specific issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to the formulation of strategies, policies, standards, procedures and guidelines geared at encouraging learning, development, knowledge sharing across UNHCR.
- Responsible for the research and analysis of learning and development needs in the organisation in the given area.
- Oversee and/or manage, design, develop, organize and facilitate related learning and development activities using a variety of methodologies (workshops, distance learning, e-learning and/or training courses) and platforms.
- Manage/oversee learning programmes and/or events that involve distance learning, e-Learning, coaching, webinars, workshop and other approaches such as Communities of Practice. This includes delivery or contracting of services for selection of participants, providing feedback on the work submitted, leading workshops, facilitation of sessions, analysis of impact of training/learning activities, etc.
- Manage/oversee the development of written materials, guides, job aids, manuals, etc. to be used for training/learning/staff development purpose and oversee the maintenance of learning materials (modules) and/or learning platform related to learning programme management, which involves coordinating the work of support staff, consultants, and coaches, in order to maintain the quality and relevance of materials.
- Participate in the evaluation and analysis of impact of training/learning activities.
- Oversee the implementation of all logistical arrangements relating to training/learning activities.
- Oversee the preparation of regular and ad hoc reports and compilation of statistics as required.
- Coordinate with the required sections regarding the linkages between staff and talent, career development and performance management. Participate in the development of policies and procedures in these areas.
- Advise users at all levels on the optimal use/development of learning and technical infrastructure.
- Manage the performance of staff in the Unit, including ePADs and supervision.
- Manage budgets for direct implementation, prepare the submissions and reports for the budget and activities under responsibility and review submissions of direct reports. Within this context, take decisions on expenditure of funds (based on agreed work plans) and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UNHCR financial, administrative, and staff rules and regulations.
- Analyse learning needs in the organisation in the designated field based on an understanding and anticipation of present and future client needs, challenges, trends and strategies and subsequent development of appropriate learning responses.
- Supervise staff / consultants / interns.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Facilitation of Lrng Prg;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in design, development, delivery and evaluation of learning activities either inside or outside UNHCR. Familiarity and experience in the use of learning management system. Experience in strategy development, either as a lead or part of a team. Demonstrated experience in managing resources. Proven experience in coaching, guiding and supervising staff.
Additional coursework in adult education, training (external coursework/certification or internal coursework, such as completion of the Trainer and Facilitator Development Programme highly desirable. Additional coursework or certification in project management, organizational psychology or development, or human resources management or related field such as organizational development would be a strong asset. Experience in humanitarian activities including in remote locations.
TR-Training Design/Material Preparation;
TR-Training and Capacity Building of Governments/Implementing Partners/Refugees;
TR-UNHCR Learning Policy and Guidelines;
TR-Experience with local partners that provide formal & informal trainings;
TR-Instructional Design and Adult Learning Theories;
TR-Organize Learning Activities;
TR-Design, development and evaluation of learning activities;
TR-Distance Learning/e-Learning/Blended Learning/Enhanced Technology Solutions;
TR-Assessment of Learning Needs;
*MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
X007L3 - Political Awareness Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).