Snr Strategic Planning Officer
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Strategic Planning Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Strategic Planning Officer works within HQ, Regional Bureau or Country Office and normally reports to a more senior staff member depending on the office setup. The incumbent normally supervises local and international staff.
The Senior Strategic Planning Officer leads scenario building exercises to help UNHCR prepare for the future, as well as prepare analytical reports based on various internal and external data sources to identify relevant trends, opportunities and threats. These will feed into the development of UNHCR¿s strategic plan for the next planning period in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent also supports regional strategic dialogues between the senior management and Regional Bureaux and other parties as relevant to review progress against objectives and targets, assesses significant strategic developments and considers potential strategy reorientations. The incumbent provides dedicated technical support in strategic planning and
analysis to key counterparts on an `on-demand¿ basis through punctual assistance and deployments.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the supervisor in articulating the vision and direction on strategic planning and analysis.
- Take a lead in organizing exercises with the participation of internal and external stakeholders, developing scenarios for the future with implications for UNHCR to inform executive decision making and strategic planning processes.
- Conduct horizon scanning activities to identify trends and their likely impacts on UNHCR (opportunities and threats) and prepare/oversee the preparation of regular analytical reports to inform executive decision making and strategic planning processes.
- Source and direct the conduct of research into specific issues of relevance to UNHCR to inform executive decision making and strategic planning processes
- Analyse the performance/impact/budget of past major operations/situations (performance, impact, budget/expenditures) to identify strengths and weaknesses to inform executive decision making and strategic planning processes.
- Conduct detailed review of sectoral strategies to identify misalignments, opportunities for synergies and to inform executive decision making and strategic planning processes.
- Provide input to UNHCR¿s strategic plan for the next planning period, upon consultations with various internal and external stakeholders, if appropriate.
- Ensure the alignment of corporate reporting systems including impact and outcome indicators in UNHCR¿s RBM system, Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) indicators and key performance indicators and identify variations from expected results that would require adjustments in planning.
- Together with the supervisor organize regular regional strategic dialogues between the senior management and Regional Bureaux and other parties as relevant, including preparing regional scans and analytical frameworks, to review progress against objectives and targets, assess significant strategic considerations and consider potential reorientations of strategy.
- Provide technical expertise to key counterparts to support/accompany strategic planning exercises, develop new strategies or a review of UNHCR¿s approach to a thematic issue or a situation on an as-needed basis.
- Support efforts to cultivate a more analytical and critical thinking mentality within UNHCR in cooperation with the Strategic Planning and Management colleagues.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Economics, Law, Business Administration,
Social Sciences, Mathematics, or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Management Learning Programme
Business Intelligence (BI) Training
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge of and experience in strategic planning and analysis in development and/or humanitarian organizations. A balance of headquarters and field experience, including at the operational/country level (i.e. not a regional office but with direct involvement in/responsibility for delivery at the field level). Experience working with complex partnerships and various stakeholders, particularly in an inter-agency context. A diverse range of functional experience is an asset ¿ e.g. programme management, protection, community development, external relations, head of office. Solid understanding of forced displacement issues. Driven, proven sense of initiative, results orientation, flexibility, as well as effective teamwork skills. Effective facilitation skills are essential in both virtual and in-person contexts. Ability to work flexibly, creatively and to multitask if the need arises. A high degree of self-motivation, positive attitude and drive.
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
IT-Business Intelligence (BI)
CL-Strategy Development and Monitoring
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X002L3 - Innovation and Creativity Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).