Public Health Specialist - Communicable Diseases
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Public Health Specialist and the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, the National Professional Officer will undertake the following duties, the UNV Public Health Specialist for Communicable Diseases will:
- Support country office efforts towards implementation of the National COVID-19 Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan;
- Provide technical input to the COVID-19 program in addition to other communicable diseases;
- Undertake research on CD public health topics to facilitate the development and implementation of CD health programmes and activities, including COVID-19;
- Conduct the implementation of a research agenda on CDs including promoting operational research on cost effectiveness of community-based interventions for CDs;
- Monitor work plans and budgets including resource mobilization for the work programme and follow up on the implementation of planned activities;
- Support WHo and MOH verification and documentation processes for elimination of priority communicable diseases;
- Analyze data of best practices in implementing CD prevention and control strategies and prepare and disseminate information;
- Facilitate conduction of community outreach activities concerning the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of CD; prepare oral presentations; compile, prepare and distribute related informational materials;
- Exchange information with counterparts in technical departments at HQ, Regional and Country Offices, and with donor and development partners (UN and bilateral) on implementation of policies and strategies related to COVID-19 and other communicable diseases;
- Ensure quality assurance and relevance of engagements with partners and institutions and make recommendations regarding WHO’s support;
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Essential: University Degree in Medicine or Public Health or Social Sciences and Post Graduate Degree (Master in Public Health) from a recognized institute.
- Desirable: Combination of training and experience in Public Health and specifically communicable diseases interventions. Post graduate degree in diseases epidemiology is desirable.
- Minimum 2 years in relevant experiance; experience in diseases epidemiology is desirable
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Oman and legal residents in Oman with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 06-12-2020