UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
To respond to the crisis and the challenges triggered by the conflict in the east of Ukraine, UNDP, in partnership with UN Women, FAO and UNFPA, is implementing the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected regions of eastern Ukraine: Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts (main target regions), as well as Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Zaporizhzhya oblasts. The RPP comprises three programmatic components: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) local governance and decentralization reform; (3) community security and social cohesion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance from the Technical Specialist (Recovery and Peacebuilding) and in close collaboration with Country Office communications unit, work in formulation and implementation of internal and external communications strategies for the RPP;
- Ensure communication plans for RPP projects are in place to adequately and positively communicate Programme’s highlights and success stories;
- Lead in gathering required inputs and information required for production of relevant publications, as well as plan to coordinate dissemination of these publications and resources within the framework of the overall RPP communication strategy;
- Coordinate with relevant units and personnel to ensure that the RPP achievements are communicated to the relevant stakeholders in an effective and timely manner to support strategic positioning of the RPP to existing and potential partners;
- Ensure communications tools and products, including briefing notes, booklets, brochures, infographics are effectively planned and developed to reflect UNDP's corporate branding and visibility;
- Ensure press releases, media advisories, and feature stories for UNDP website and social networks are drafted and publicized in timely manner;
- Build and maintain close working relationships with the media, including editors and journalists in key regional news outlets with the objective to facilitate reporting on RPP’s work with a special focus on the UNDP’s development efforts in eastern Ukraine;
- Process media enquiries and requests for interviews from local, national and international journalists, NGOs, external partners, in co-operation with Country Office communication unit;
- Coordinate regional press conferences and media events upon request;
- Lead personnel with identification of storylines for publications, and articles on achievements and progress of projects and activities;
- Advise programme staff in developing and designing thematic information, and communication materials for the UNDP projects to ensure their good quality and acceptance by the target audience(s);
- Advise the RPP staff on public messaging and media outreach. Provide input for briefing materials, talking points, and op-eds, as requested;
- Coordinate identification of and reporting on best practices and lessons learned for activities and projects, and in line with communications goals and objectives;
- Enhance cooperation and ensures coherence of communication activities and messages between UNDP Country Office and field presence (RPP);
- Ensure that UNDP corporate identity, visibility and communication rules and regulations are applied in all public materials produced by the RPP, including social networks;
- In coordination with County Office communications unit, provide input and manage social media channels (Twitter, Facebook);
- Under the guidance of the Technical Specialist (Recovery and Peacebuilding), work closely with Programme Coordinators and Country Office communications unit, on coverage of the RPP activities and projects through various media channels, including news stories, fact sheets, website articles; booklets, briefing notes, posters and banners, through service providers such as audio-visual production companies, as well as printing and translation companies;
- Work in consultation with the Technical Specialist (Recovery and Peacebuilding)and Programme Coordinators in management and oversight of communications consultants and service providers;
- Ensure preparation of relevant background documents and organization of donor and corporate missions, as well as organization of audio-visual and media coverage of programme activities and achievements;
- Work with relevant units and personnel in assisting the RPP to develop proposals and concept notes;
- Lead in organizing relevant events and activities, including organization of press conferences and other events to facilitate visits of high-level officials and delegations to the Eastern Ukraine;
- Ensure that a library of reference materials, such as communications tools, booklets and photographs of project activities, is established, regularly updated and documented in a way that is easy for retrieval;
- Prepare communications needs assessments for RPP, including projects, as required;
- Brief the senior management regularly on ongoing communications, and coordinate efforts to follow up on identified communications needs, and potential opportunities for improving visibility;
- Develop partnerships with various individuals, groups and organizations, whose support is essential to the achievement of communication objectives;
- In coordination with the Country Office communications unit and with Programme Coordinators, supervise and maintain information, advocacy and awareness-raising campaigns implemented within the RPP communications strategy;
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of expertise, promote a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour, and use the principles of gender-responsive communications in line with the UNDP corporate standards;
- Performing other related duties, as assigned and required;
- Annual communications strategy and plans of the RPP are fully and timely implemented in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Funds delivery for communications and outreach activities of the RPP reached 100%.
- Communications strategy and work plans are timely implemented;
- Communications delivery funds have reached 100%;
- Communications activities are carried out in alignment with UNDP corporate rules and regulations.
- People Management;
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches;
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Management and Leadership;
- Conflict Management;
- Result orientation;
- Gender mainstreaming;
- Collaboration and Partnership;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Self–management and emotional intelligence;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Results-Based Project Development and Management
- Assesses programme performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into programme work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of programme implementation.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Client Orientation
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, journalism, international relations, political/social sciences or related field.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the media/public relations/communications or related field;
- Solid experience in report writing, editing, drafting, photography and video matreials production;
- Knowledge of and experience with social media applications and content management systems (CMS);
- Experience in developing and implementing information campaigns will be a strong asset;
- Professional experience with international organizations or non-profit organizations will be a strong asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian (both written and spoken)
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.