- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
- Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States' levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C (HCV) , tuberculosis, cancer, and immunization.
India’s Universal Immunization Program (UIP) is one of the largest public immunization programs in the world and reaches 26.3 million infants and 30 million pregnant women annually through nine million planned sessions. The program provides access to vaccines against 11 Vaccine Preventable Diseases (VPDs) at the national level and against two VPDs vaccines at the sub-national level.
Under the strong leadership of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and state governments, the entire immunization ecosystem has demonstrated proactive commitment for achieving universal immunization coverage in the country in recent years. Strategic projects in this direction include but are not limited to introduction of new vaccines, rolling out of data systems, strengthening of national immunization centres such as Immunization Technical Support Unit (ITSU) and National Cold Chain & Vaccines Management Resource Centre (NCCVMRC) and successful piloting of initiatives for bolstering health worker capacity building. Coupled with these initiatives, MoHFW launched Mission Indradhanush (MI) in 2014 and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (iMI) in 2017: catch up and system strengthening campaigns to target underserved, vulnerable, resistant, and inaccessible populations. iMI has resulted in an increase of 6.7% in full immunization coverage (FIC) after the first two phases in prioritized districts.
Uttar Pradesh (UP), the most populous state of India, contributes more than 20% (5.7 million) to India’s annual birth cohort. UP has the highest infant mortality (64 deaths per 1,000 live births) and under five mortality rates (78 death per 1,000 live births) in the country. UP’s FIC went up from 51.1% in 2015-16, to 65.3% in 2018 through concentrated efforts and catch up campaigns (MI and iMI) in 60 out of 75 districts. However, wide variations in coverage exist across regional and social categories. In 2018, UP accounted for 25% of under-immunized children in India & 9.5% of world’s under-immunized children. Improvements in UP’s FIC are essential to national improvements in immunization coverage and the government of Uttar Pradesh (GoUP) is rapidly implementing a new strategic roadmap for holistic improvement of immunization outcomes in the state.
CHAI supports the immunization program in the focus states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh annd provides catalytic support to the NCCVMRC on strengthening cold chain management and vaccines delivery and logistics. Supporting GoUP since 2013, the Uttar Pradesh Technical Support Unit (UP-TSU) works closely with the Department of Health & Family Welfare and the Department of Child Welfare of GoUP to improve the availability, quality and utilization of critical reproductive, maternal, natal, child and adolescent health (RMNCH+A) interventions and services.
Recognizing the vision and ambition of the GoUP on improving immunization coverage and equity outcomes in the state, CHAI and UP-TSU are undertaking a transformative project to provide support to GoUP at the state and district levels and in prioritized blocks. The immunization Project Management Unit (PMU) nestled within the UP-TSU will provide catalytic support based on the guiding principles of impact, integration, investment, and innovation. The PMU will support GoUP on the state’s plans for strengthening evidence-informed decision-making, enhancing state capacity to manage and govern immunization service delivery and augmenting immunization systems in prioritized blocks of the state.
We seek a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual with outstanding credentials for the role of Demand Specialist. The Specialist will lead the implementation and assessment of targeted immunization demand generation initiatives. The Specialist will directly supervise PMU activities related to demand including intervention design and validation, field implementation and assessment, analysis of existing demand interventions and assessment of key community demographics. The Specialist will report to the Implementation Lead and will work with senior stakeholders across the immunization ecosystem to drive program outcomes. They will also be responsible for engaging with government and partner stakeholders to leverage existing efforts and pilot innovations on strengthening demand generation and provide actionable insights to effectively customize interventions in priority blocks. The ideal candidate would have strong strategic management and planning skills, rich experience of delivering evidence-based insights, impeccable writing, and verbal communication competencies, and have demonstrated excellence in leading high calibre teams for impact. The ideal candidate will bring proven experience of having successfully delivered community facing and contextualised demand interventions and projects for complex and behaviourally driven public health and/or rural consumer marketing. We place great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Lead and execute demand generation initiatives under the program, including driving existing efforts and pilot demonstrations for new innovations in priority blocks
- Design, validate and drive interventions and pilot innovations to strengthen demand generation
- Provide evidence-based decision-making support to government stakeholders to help customize demand interventions in the priority blocks. Submit results of field demonstrations in priority blocks to the state for further scaling to similar geographies/communities across the state
- Lead, guide, and mentor high caliber teams to support demand generation initiatives and provide strategic leadership to aid in the design and delivery of impactful solutions in swift timelines
- Lead the strategic and operational planning of demand generation initiatives and analyses, and undertake regular strategy reviews for course correction
- Build effective and functional relationships with immunization leadership and partners in the state to identify synergies
- Travel on short notice to various parts of the state
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by the Implementation Lead and PMU Lead
- Relevant work experience of 8+ years and Master’s degree in management, economics, public administration, public health or allied areas
- Proven expertise in a demanding results-driven environment, in the public and / or private sector, with relevant program management experience
- Prior experience in strategic and operational planning / consulting for large organizations
- Proven expertise in rural marketing, consumer research or social mobilization
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills required
- Proven experience in mentoring and leading teams in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Fluency in English & Hindi
- Strong understanding of immunization context
- Significant government stakeholder management experience
- Strong experience in management consulting with highly reputed consulting firms
- Strong experience in qualitative and ethnographic research, design thinking, market research and Human Centre Design
- Experience in designing, piloting, and scaling up digital solutions such as gamified apps or job aids for mobilization and experience with field-based qualitative design techniques