EVALUATION SPECIALIST (SEVERAL POSITIONS)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Office of Evaluation (OED) anchors the evaluation function in the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Evaluation in FAO provides results accountability to member countries and FAO’s Director-General, providing the evidence base to guide their decision-making and oversight. Evaluation also contributes to corporate learning, by offering a basis for improvements in the Organization's programmes in terms of their relevance to countries, definition of objectives, their design and implementation. OED also participates in system-wide evaluation initiatives, thereby contributing to assessments of development effectiveness by the United Nations (UN) system.
Purpose of the Call
In 2021-22, OED will conduct several evaluations requested by FAO’s Governing bodies, Management and resource partners. These evaluations include:
- Real Time Evaluation of FAO’s Covid-19 response and recovery programme
- Evaluation of FAO Sub-regional Office for the Caribbean
- Country programme evaluations in Guatemala, Bolivia and Dominican Republic
- Several project and programme evaluations in Latin America and the Caribbean
The purpose of this call is to identify a list of potential candidates that may be suitable for different tasks in relation to the above evaluations.
The evaluation specialists will be under the supervision of the evaluation manager (OED) assigned to the specific evaluation.
The evaluation specialists will work in programme evalautions in various FAO’s priority areas. Technical areas of experitices for project evaluations include, but are not limited to: climate change adaptation, pesticide management, market access, policy making and implementation support in the context of food security and nutrition in the MesoAmerica sub-region, small-scale fisheries, sustainable shrimp/bottom trawl fisheries and related institutional frameworks in the region, sustainable forest and land management, and land governance.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The evaluation specialists will carry out specific tasks in accordance with the evaluation’s Terms of Reference, including:
- Draft of inception reports;
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of the evaluation methodology;
- Participate in field missions (when feasible) and/or briefings and debriefings;
- Conduct data collection and analysis;
- Lead and/or contribute to the drafting of the evaluation report and/or relevant sections;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in evaluation, agriculture, environmental studies, social and economic development, public policy, international affairs or related fields;
- Relevant experience in policy, programme or project evaluation, as follows:
- At least one year for a junior specialist
- At least five years for a mid-level specialist
- At least ten years for a senior specialist
- Working knowledge of English and Spanish, limited knowledge of another relevant language (Arabic, French, Portuguese) would be a plus.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in designing, planning, leading, and conducting development and humanitarian evaluations
- Knowledge of technical work in areas such as food security, nutrition, rural development, agriculture, livestock, fisheries and forestry, climate change adaptation and mitigation, etc.
- Proven knowledge/experience on the theme under evaluation (for senior specialists only)
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency