Programme Assistant for TVET
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 5
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-JAN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The purpose of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) is to provide knowledge and skills required in the world of work. Given the diversity of the Asia-Pacific region, TVET systems tend to vary from country to country and reflect specific national socio-economic situations. Effective TVET policy must therefore be embedded in the socio-economic context, encompass various policy areas and be sufficiently flexible to ensure graduates’ successful transition from school to work.
UNESCO’s TVET Strategy (2016-2021) aims to support the efforts of Member States in the Asia-Pacific to enhance the relevance of their TVET systems and to equip all youth and adults with the skills required for employment, decent work, entrepreneurship and lifelong learning, and to contribute to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as a whole. UNESCO’s Strategy has three priority areas:
• Fostering youth employment and entrepreneurship;
• Promoting equity and gender equality;
• Facilitating transition to green economies and sustainable societies.
To address these needs, UNESCO Bangkok is seeking to hire a motivated programme assistant to support in coordinating, planning and implementing UNESCO’s programme activities in the Asia-Pacific region in the field of skills development and TVET.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education based in Bangkok, Thailand and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development (EISD), the incumbent will provide support in coordinating, planning and implementing UNESCO’s programme activities in the Asia-Pacific region in the field of skills development and TVET. He/she will be responsible to carry out the following tasks:
- Track and report on programme activities; prepare project evaluations reviewing budgetary data/ information from current or past initiatives. Respond to enquiries; monitor the budget of the projects and programmes within the Section/Unit in compliance with programme and budgetary requirements and financial regulations; alert the supervisor of errors/ omissions/ discrepancies observed and undertake corrective action. Collate information and draft regular and ad hoc budgetary/ financial updates, reports, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by management/ staff as well as donors.
- Provide support in programme administration with regard to the preparation of outreach activities, partnership initiatives and special events. Track, retrieve, research files, reports, other records and past practices; gather and collate background information; verify information for relevance and accuracy; analyze and summarize information; identify elements of interest; prepare draft dockets and charts; assemble documents, prepare reports, presentations, speeches, etc. according to standards and formats. Look for possible venues; prepare list of participants; draft invitation letters, etc. Process requests for translation, printing, dispatch of information documents for statutory meetings; coordinate the delivery of translation services; complete forms and process requests for reservations for webcasting, recording, transcription of debates and follow-up on progress.
- In collaboration with team members, assess administrative support needs for meetings/ events/ workshops/ seminars, travel, document processing/ publication production and consultants/temporary assistance, and coordinate office support services for the same. Inform management and team members of process, procedures and timeframes to secure administrative services needed for programme/ project execution. Initiate a variety of contractual documents using examples or templates; identify consultants, suppliers (from a roster), and prepare purchase requisitions in accordance with instructions; verify requests for payments against contractual obligations in the financial system; process contractual transactions and provide information on payment status and remaining obligations to the responsible officer. Prepare minutes and monitor follow-up activities.
- Provide guidance and support for project and programme reporting requirements; prepare paperwork, submit and prepare requests for approval of HR-related initiatives (e.g. recruitment of temporary personnel, transfer, etc.). This can also include processing visas, security cards and other documentation; preparing regular and ad hoc reports on HR movement, leave usage etc, for the supervisor, or on other staff resources funded via the extra-budgetary envelope. Initiate travel authorization and make travel arrangements, for team staff; provide assistance to partners and stakeholders as required. Provide guidance to staff on general office processes and procedures, automated systems, computer applications, etc.
- Maintain/ update programme and project documentation and records, research, and track background information and documentation; maintain electronic and hard-copy files/ records/ data sources up-to-date on budgetary data, contract, personnel and other administrative matters; update staff and equipment listings; ensure the proper creation and closure of files and the safe retention of the same. Provide general office assistance, receive, register, review and draft correspondence, emails and type a variety of reports and tables to document/ transmit administrative or budgetary information; verify outgoing correspondence for completeness, accuracy and compliance with UNESCO format standards; maintain mailing lists and other contact lists. Handle routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining, assessing telephone billing, etc.
- Assist in liaising with UNESCO experts in TVET who provide technical expertise and quality assurance support to ensure smooth and satisfactory delivery of training activities and deliverables.
- Undertake any other activities as requested by the Chief of EISD to support UNESCO’s TVET activities in the Asia-Pacific.
• Bachelor’s Degree in the field of education, economics, public policy or other TVET related areas
• Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience, preferably in the field of TVET, at the national and/or sub-regional level
Skills and competencies
• Excellent computer skills in all aspects of Microsoft Office, including typing in English and Thai
• Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently on delegated tasks and to meet deadlines
• Ability to work well with team members across different types of activities
• Creative thinking and problem solving skills
• Appreciation of diverse identities
• Excellent ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Proven ability to work efficiently, under pressure, and in a multi-cultural environment
• Excellent knowledge of English and Thai (spoken and written)
• Bachelor’s degree in English or languages
• Experience within the UN System or international organizations
• Experience in conducting desk reviews and surveys will be an advantage
• Experience in the field of computer science
Skills and competencies
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
• Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
• High sense of responsibility and willingness to take initiatives
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to submit:
• a cover letter;
• a full resume (stating details of educational qualifications and work experience, present income, home and office contact addresses, email address, telephone numbers and three references) or UNESCO CV (Form HR 5-1); and
• a writing sample in English.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.