Building and Infrastructure Project Manager (SMB-SE-MP-2020-140-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a project manager with outstanding negotiation and organizational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high-quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with your colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic civil engineering and construction projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
2 posts for building and infrastructure project managers are open in the Site and Civil Engineeering (SCE) Department, for the design, construction and maintenance of the buildings and infrastructure on the CERN sites.
As Building and Infrastructure Project Manager, you will be responsible for the execution of building and infrastructure projects from the initial conceptual design to the final delivery to the end-users.
- Gather requirements from the end-users inside CERN.
- Set up project structures with accurate human and financial resource estimations.
- Manage change requests from the end-users.
- Plan and coordinate the work of the project design consultants including the procurement process and the setup and management of design consultancy contracts.
- Plan and coordinate the execution of the works including the procurement process and the setup and management of construction contracts.
- Ensure that costs and schedules are maintained.
- Ensure that all construction work complies with the contractual drawings and documents, norms and regulations.
- Oversee the works on-site, check bill of quantity measurements, financial commitments, and payments.
- Negotiate financial variations, claims, agreements and settlements with consultants and contractors.
- Make sure that all safety measures are taken on the worksites in order to keep the incident rate to a minimum.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil engineering or architecture or a related field.
- Proven experience in managing large construction projects, buildings and infrastructure, with full responsibility throughout the project lifecycle from concept design to construction and hand-over.
- Proven experience of coordinating different professions (architect, structural engineers, HVAC engineers, electrical engineers, technical/legal/financial advisors, contractors, etc.).
- Proven experience in procurement processes (definition of procurement strategy, selection of firms, call for tenders, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience in the design and/or execution of surface civil engineering projects and buildings.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience in the industrial and/or scientific environment.
- Experience in technical architecture.
- Experience in the design and/or construction of scientific facilities.
- Experience with the standard international construction contracts (e.g. FIDIC).
- Experience in the development of buildings, either as a developer or owner’s representative.
- Design of civil buildings
- Design of industrial buildings
- Knowledge of building construction, consolidation and renovation
- Project management
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Optimising resources: realistically assessing human and financial resource needs, evaluating risks and plans accordingly; effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
Spoken and written English and French. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.01.2021 at 12:00 pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SMB-SE-MP-2020-140-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer