Electromechanical technician (EP-ESE-ME-2020-142-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an energetic technician experienced in electronics and mechanics, willing to contribute to the development of electronic systems for the most advanced scientific experiments in particle physics? We are seeking to expand the technical support to our engineers designing readout and control ASICs in advanced CMOS technologies for these experiments. Join our team and help us qualifying our circuits to ensure they meet the unique challenges raised by their application in an extremely harsh environment. CERN, take part!
You will join the Electronic Systems for Experiments Group (ESE) of the Experimental Physics Department (EP), which designs electronic systems, including ASICs, for the experiments at CERN and also supplies a series of electronics related services. The Microelectronics section (ME) develops analogue and digital integrated circuits for the readout and control of the CERN experiments.
As an Electromechanical technician in the Microelectronics section of the ESE group, you will:
- Provide technical support for test and measurement activities performed in the laboratories of the section as well as in irradiation facilities inside and outside CERN;
- Fabricate and modify test benches developed in the section;
- Participate in the maintenance of the laboratory equipment;
- Organise and manage the laboratories’ space, tools and supplies;
- Take care of the stock of ASICs developed in the section, and be responsible for their distribution to users.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of no field to be mentioned in SmartRecruiters VN template or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated technical experience in one of the following domains: electronics, electromechanics, industrial automation;
- Practical experience in cabling and assembling electronics boards with surface mount components;
- Practical experience in fabricating small mechanics for experimental laboratory setups, both with hand and machine tools;
- Basic experience with the use of electronics CAD software tools (schematic and layout/routing) and of mechanical design software tools (2D or 3D).
Experience in the following fields will also be valued:
- Testing of electronic systems and related instrumentation;
- Using and programing CNC machines (2 or 3 axis) and 3D printing;
- Repairing of electronic systems.
- Assembly of electronic components;
- Design and manufacturing of cables, including connectors;
- Fabrication of electronic circuit boards;
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting;
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs;
- Communicating effectively: leveraging support networks across the Organization;
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.01.2021 at 12:00 pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-ESE-ME-2020-142-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician