Senior Associate, Program Operations
United States (United States of America)
Senior Associate, Program Operations
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Infectious Disease - Global HIV Access Program
- Additional Location Description
- East Coast
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
The hallmark of CHAI’s approach is simultaneous and intensive engagement on the demand and supply sides of the market. On the demand side, CHAI’s country teams help governments to overcome barriers to scale up treatment and prevention programs. Meanwhile, the CHAI global access teams work to address supply-side barriers to access and foster a healthy marketplace to ensure the sustainable supply of essential medicines and diagnostic commodities. CHAI works to attract new suppliers, lower drug prices, encourage the adoption of stringent quality standards, and facilitate the uptake of important new or improved products.
CHAI’s HIV Access Program (HAP) works to address barriers to treatment scale-up by engaging across the treatment cascade and addressing commodity and service delivery barriers to ensure patients access to treatment, care, and prevention services they need.
CHAI is seeking a highly qualified individual to fill the position of Senior Associate, Program Operations. The Senior Associate will support the operations and management of key grants, including the Unitaid-CHAI Optimal project, which aim to support Ministries of Health in scaling access to optimal antiretroviral treatment and improve patient outcomes, as well as introducing new advanced HIV disease commodities.
In close coordination with the HAP Senior Manager and Operations Manager, the role will involve building and managing relationships with subcontractors and subgrantees and liaising with CHAI teams, such as the CHAI HQ contracts and accounts payable teams, to ensure compliance with grant requirements. In particular, this role will be critical in developing and implementing systems for CHAI to effectively develop, manage, and execute subcontracting and subgrantee agreements. The Senior Associate will work with a broad set of internal and external stakeholders.
This role will require candidates to develop familiarity with HAP programs globally and at the country level, including funding, planning, and implementation. The Senior Associate will also provide support to HAP’s Operations Manager, Senior Manager, Associate Director, Advanced HIV Disease, and Senior Director to ensure effective implementation and monitoring of project activities. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to assess issues, think creatively to resolve problems, and determine when to escalate to other team members.
The Senior Associate will need to possess analytical ability, excellent communication skills, exceptional diplomacy and tact, and organizational and project management skills. The candidate must be able to function independently and flexibly, operate effectively in an environment with a high level of ambiguity and uncertainty, and have a strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: proactiveness, resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, entrepreneurship, and strong work ethic.
- Facilitate subcontract and subgrantee administration and management for key deliverables under HAP’s Unitaid-CHAI Optimal grant
- Execute day-to-day administration and management of HAP’s subcontracts and relationships with external entities, partners, and subgrantees, including reviewing compliance, drafting contracts, preparing disbursements, and monitoring activity progress
- Support the development and implementation of sustainable subcontract and subgrantee management systems, including terms of references, monitoring systems, and standard operating procedures
- Effectively coordinate with CHAI Contracts and Finance teams to ensure rapid development of subcontracted or subgrantee legal documents and financial disbursement requests
- Collaborate with staff across HAP, including the HAP Operations and Advanced HIV Disease teams, to review progress against subcontractor and subgrantee activities and address any gaps or challenges that may arise
- Support the project management of the HAP grants, including reporting and other grant deliverables and resources
- Support the production of donor reports, project proposals, project memos, and other program related communication materials, as required
- Support and liaise with regional managers and country teams to maintain accurate and timely reporting that further grant objectives and contribute to grant deliverables
- Support the maintenance and implementation of grant operations systems
- Develop and implement strong knowledge management systems to ensure active monitoring and tracking of deliverables
- Support the development of grant specific communications deliverables for internal and external audiences, as necessary
- Support HAP Operations Manager, Senior Manager, Associate Director, Advanced HIV Disease, and Senior Director, as requested
- BA/BS with outstanding academic credentials
- Minimum 3-5 years of work experience, preferably in an operational role involving highly complex, dynamic projects
- Commitment to CHAI’s values and mission
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to gather and analyze information, recognize problems, and think proactively about solutions
- Excellent writing skills including ability to draft succinct and effective memos
- Ability to communicate effectively, diplomatically, and tactfully with people of varied professional, cultural, and educational backgrounds, including a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to summarize facts and progress to help support program needs, decision making, and project execution
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new ideas
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and uncertainty, problem-solve, multi-task and, set priorities in a fast-paced, high-pressure, limited-structure, and multicultural environment
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook
- Willingness to work flexibly and travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Ability to learn on the job quickly and absorb/synthesize a broad range of information
- Familiarity and experience in global health sector, particularly HIV/AIDS
- Experience with subcontractor and subgrantee management
- Experience working directly with executives and those in high level positions
- Experience working in management consulting, business strategy groups, law firms or similar fast-paced results-oriented environments
- Experience in grant writing, memo drafting or other technical writing
- Experience in financial management and budgeting