Field coordinator (M/F) - Iraq/Kurdistan
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s. During its first mission in the country, MdM was providing general and specialized medical services (surgery, training programs for traditional birth attendants). Since then, MdM had several programs which included paediatric surgery, contributing to the renewal of techniques and knowledge of surgical, medical and paramedical staff in 1997, emergency medical activities in 2002, building local capacity on basic emergency healthcare services at community level in 2006. From 2009 to 2011, MdM supported an Iraqi NGO in the implementation of a program aimed at improving the skills of midwives and traditional birth attendants in accordance with recognized international standards.
In 2014, with the arrival of ISIL, MdM started to provide immediate healthcare support through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services to IDPs and host communities in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in July 2015, and in Ninewa Governorate in April 2016. Since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including MHPSS, GBV response and Community Health Based Approach) and continue to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
- A combination of direct and complementary services, especially related to general health, Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH), while contributing to the health system strengthening through capacity building at DOH level
- Mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS)
- Gender based violence (GBV) integrated within the PHCC general health services, SRH and MHPSS services
- As a cross cutting approach, MdM is planning to develop a community health based (CHB) approach to ensure community participation, while empowering individuals.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the general coordinator, you are responsible for the overall management of the base, the collection of information about the local context, the management of security, the implementation of the project and the relationships with partners.
You work closely with the coordination team based in Erbil and field coordinators in other bases. Leading a team of 25 to 30 staff members, you directly supervise the program manager, the logistics officer, the administration officer and the security officer.
Your main responsibilities are :
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments as well as between the base and the coordination team
- Oversee and coordinate the overall running of the base and all departments/services, including during remote management phases
- Provide team members with adequate support
Safety and security management
- Ensure that field security plans and rules are communicated, known and respected
- Contribute to the update of the security package and annexes with support of the security officer
- Ensure collection and analysis of information related to safety and security
- Share relevant information and possible security alerts with the security supervisor and the general coordinator in Erbil
- Verify that material and human resources are available to ensure the safety of teams, materials and beneficiaries
- Ensure security incident reports are sent in a timely manner to the general coordinator
- Ensure the implementation and monitoring of the program in its different aspects
- Assess the needs and adjust the programs to the needs jointly with other coordinators and in accordance with MdM strategy
- Participate in the development of activities plans, concept notes, proposals and budgets for new projects/extensions
- Coordinate the implementation of project evaluations
Logistics, finance and administration
- Ensure all projects are compliant with both donors and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM procedures are in place and implemented
- Ensure update and implementation of procurement plans in collaboration with the logistics coordinator
- Ensure budget control and financial management in line with project proposals
- Report any concerns about expenditure and budget compliance to the financial coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under - or over -expenditure at project level
Human resources management
- Conduct regular team building activities
- Contribute to the recruitment and selection of staff
- Ensure disciplinary and grievance procedures are in place and implemented with support from the human resources coordinator
- Carry out staff appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed and departing team members are debriefed and provide handover reports when applicable
- Ensure that all team members receive technical support from technical coordinators when needed
- Ensure capacity building and training of national personnel
- Represent MdM to NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, donors and other relevant parties and share information with the coordination team
- Ensure that staff participates to sub-cluster meetings and humanitarian coordination forums and share information with respective technical coordinators
- Build relationships with all partners working in the area and develop activities in partnership with national NGOs, other local partners and relevant parties
- Participate in the organisation and implementation of donors visits
- Lead development of regular reports at base level
- Participate in the writing of monthly SITREP with the coordination team
- Contribute to the writing of project proposals and reports to donors
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 7 months
Starting date: 20th January 2021
Gross monthly salary: 3073 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political sciences, international development or social sciences
Training in public health is an asset
At least 2 or 3 years relevant professional experience in project management in humanitarian work or a related field
Solid experience of project planning and budget holding, proposal and report writing
Experience in security management
Experience in HR, financial and logistics management
Supportive management style and team spirit
Ability to work under stressful situation
Adaptability to changing priorities
Good communication skills
Listening and diplomacy skills
Ability to manage remotely when needed
Languages: Fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory. Arabic, Kurdish or French are an asset.
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
To apply, click on the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JxlaCSsA?idpartenaire=128