Research and Development Coordinator
Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Post Number : 3ARIEP0005PA
Grade : NO-C
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Argentina
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-JAN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Duration of contract: initially 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance [six (6) months probationary period]).
Only nationals of Argentina may apply for this positionORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
As the only specialized organization with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports ministries of education around the world and other key actors to plan and manage education systems through its programmes of training, technical assistance, policy research and knowledge sharing. Follow this link for more information about IIEP’s global role.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
This position is located in IIEP-UNESCO’s Buenos Aires Office. Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP-UNESCO and immediate supervision of the Head of Office of IIEP-UNESCO Buenos Aires, and within the framework of IIEP-UNESCO’s mandate and Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent will lead and coordinate the development and implementation of the training activities lead by IIEP-UNESCO Buenos Aires, both regular and extra-budgetary.
The incumbent will manage, advice, and report on the research activities and the delivery of results against objectives. The incumbent will provide support, leadership and guidance to staff and consultants working on research projects and during their involvement in missions related to these. The incumbent will assist the Head of Office with administrative and financial management of these projects. In collaboration with the Head of Office of IIEP-UNESCO Buenos Aires, the incumbent will carry out outreach and fundraising activities with IIEP-UNESCO partners (Member States, U.N. agencies, foundations, donors, and other development organizations).
Duties and resposibilities of the post are:
1. Strategic planning and Programme implementation
- Identify, conceptualize and design research projects in accordance with IIEP’s Medium Term Strategy, Member State needs, and IIEP-UNESCO’s internal procedures.
- Apply established project planning procedures for research projects.
- In cooperation with the Head of Office, develop the research agenda of IIEP BA and adopt strategies for its implementation.
- Supervise, coordinate and contribute to the timely implementation of ongoing research projects.
- Conduct regular field missions as required by research projects.
- Oversee the management of research projects budgets.
- Report on research projects in accordance with IIEP’s Monitoring and Evaluation Plan; participate in the permanent updating of information related to the area in institutional monitoring systems.
2. Institutional networking and Partnership development
- Contribute to institutional communication activities in relation to research projects, develop the necessary inputs for the communication area and for IIEP-UNESCO’s virtual platforms.
- Participate in the design, management, and implementation of IIEP-UNESCO BA’s technical cooperation and training projects, in close collaboration with the Coordinator of Technical Cooperation and with the Coordinator of Training, respectively, as required by the Head of Office.
- Develop partnerships with Member States, U.N. agencies, foundations, donors, and other development organizations in order to extend the reach of research programmes and projects, and to develop joint programmes.
- Identify and negotiate funding for research projects from public and private donors, including Member States, U.N. agencies, foundations, and other development organizations.
- Represent IIEP-UNESCO at conferences and meetings, giving institutional and thematic presentations.
3. Team Management
- Participate actively in IIEP-UNESCO team meetings.
- Within delegated authority, manage, supervise, and support staff, consultants and interns working in research and development projects
- Manage and provide continuous feedback on staff performance on a timely basis
- Identify human resource needs and recruit technical expertise for programme implementation.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Results focus (C)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Building partnerships (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Perform other tasks as directed by the Head of Office and the Director.
- Advanced University degree (Masters or higher) in education, public policy, public management, economics, statistics, or in related fields of social sciences.
- At least six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in designing and conducting research activities in the in the fields of educational planning, policy or management, of which preferably four (4) years should have been acquired at international level.
Knowledge,Skills and Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of the theory and practical application of the techniques used in education planning and management.
- Advanced knowledge of the educational systems of Latin America and the education policy agenda of the region.
- Knowledge in the application of quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
- Demonstrable participation in comparative studies of education in Latin America.
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategies for communicating research findings.
- Demonstrable experience in project management, including management of project portfolios and the application of planning and management tools.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; capacity to write clear prose.
- Demonstrable experience in leading, managing and motivating international teams.
- Experience in conducting high-level political dialogues, partnership development and fundraising, particularly at ministerial level.
- Ability to work with and in multicultural teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to work proactively and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to develop positive collegial relationships.
- Availability to carry out field missions in different countries of the region as required by the projects in the area.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Spanish.
Experience and Knowledge
- Work experience in education policymaking or policy implementation.
- Knowledge of IT, in particular MS Office applications, databases, statistical processing programs, Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) tools, Survey tools, SPSS or STATA.
- Very good knowledge of Portuguese..
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which, where applicable, may include 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc. For more information on benefits and entitlements, please follow this link:ICSC booklet
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application once submitted. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the Vacancy Notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.