IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The position is located in the Food Systems and Food Safety Division (ESF), Economic and Social Development Stream. The Division supports a coordinated approach to the development of food systems, including inter alia, engagement in global level dialogue, platform and initiatives, the strengthening of food safety and quality at national, regional and international levels, the development of sustainable food value chains, reductions in food loss and waste and the implementation of the urban food agenda. The post is located at FAO HQ in Rome, Italy.
The Senior Food Safety Officer reports to Director, ESF.
Effective and efficient food safety and food control management measures to improve food safety at a national, regional and global level.
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of the Divisional Programmes of work, projects, products, services with regard to food safety/food controls in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams; leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-divisional committees, project teams, and working groups; and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies.
• Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks.
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services.
• Provides technical and policy advice to Members and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes.
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools.
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders.
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Provides technical leadership in terms of the development of national and regional food control programmes in support of FAO programmes of work and country needs, including regional and global policy and standard setting bodies.
• Provides technical and policy advice to selected countries in the development and implementation of food control systems and food safety policies.
• Designs and oversees initiatives aimed at generation of data to inform the elaboration of food safety and food control policies in support the establishment and strengthening of international instruments.
• Analyzes country specific requirements in the area of food safety and food control policies in order to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
• Leads the development of training materials and other technical documents related to food control and food safety decision-making and the implementation of the related training programmes and collaborates in providing technical backstopping to, and ensuring the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries.
• Provides technical advisory services to Members and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes of work related to food control.
• Coordinates partnerships with non-government stakeholders, in particular civil society organizations, donors, fod safety and food control organizations including those of the private sector, around specific policy issues.
• Maintains close collaboration with other FAO units, FAO Representations as well as relevant national and international institutions
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in food science, food policy, food safety, public health or a related subject.
• Ten years of relevant experience in design, implementation and evaluation of public sector policies for food safety programmes and/or food control programmes, and in leading such work at national, regional or international level
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in relation to public sector food control policy/food safety policy development
• Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programmes, budgets and human resources efficiently under shifting priorities
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in relation to capacity development programmes to establish and strengthen public sector risk-based food control/food safety at an international, regional and national level
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in relation to food safety and food hygiene
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in relation to the work of Codex Alimentarius Commission and its subsidiary bodies
• Extent of international experience, especially in the context of practical experience in low and middle income countries
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize and effectively manage financial resources and related contributions
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and running high-level international meetings, seminars and training courses
• Experience in food safety risk assessment is highly desirable
• Working knowledge (level C) of another FAO language is highly desirable
• Ability in human resources and programme management