Google Apps Script Developer (Retainer)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background information - ICT
The UNOPS Information and Communication Technology (ICT) unit is focused innovation and harnessing cutting-edge technology to deliver solutions to UNOPS that truly address business needs.
Working with UNOPS ICT is a unique opportunity to deliver systems to users around the world - making an impact on development and solving practical problems for the UNOPS workforce and thereby help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.ICT’s goal is to provide greater effectiveness, efficiency and differentiation to UNOPS products and services. UNOPS ICT unit is responsible for architecting, designing, delivering, and managing all UNOPS ICT infrastructure and business applications. The unit includes Enterprise Architects, Business Analysts, Solutions Designers and Developers from all around the world who are based primarily in Denmark and Thailand.
In 2018, UNOPS initiated a digital shift from Microsoft based collaboration products to Google Workspace. This has opened up for new ways of working with data, using cloud based technologies and solutions. Technology that you master and solutions you envision.
We are looking for a passionate Google Apps Script developer that feels at home building solutions using technologies such as Git, Google API’s (Drive, Docs, Sheets, BigQuery, Gmail, Calendar, Maps) and DataStudio. You might also have knowledge and experience in building Chrome extensions, interactive cards for Gmail or chatbots using DialogFlow.
In short, you know your way around Google technologies and are able to translate high level requirements into quality solutions, all while demonstrating a service-minded approach, be able to self-organize, possess good communication skills, have the ability and desire to learn, and be a good team player.
The contract will be on a retainer basis, and you will therefore be brought in on projects when needed, working with different business units and country offices around the world, being exposed to a large variety of projects.
Under the supervision of the Enterprise Architect, Software, and in close coordination with the rest of the ICT team, your functions, among others, will be:
1. Develop business applications
2. Perform technical review and testing of code for business applications
3. Embed relevant knowledge management and innovation within the ICT Development function
Contribute ideas, concerns and suggested approaches during technical design sessions with other ICT developers.
Contribute to the specification of applications, ensuring high graphical and UX standards are met and brand consistency is adhered to as specified by the ICT Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team.
Contribute through evidence-based opinions during UX design sessions with other developers and provide feedback to the ICT Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team on established design standards.
Stay up to date with emerging technologies and where appropriate, advocate for their consideration.
Advocate for the development of new, innovative concepts that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement for existing solutions.
Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or other relevant discipline is required.
A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree.
Secondary education in combination with additional six years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree
- Minimum 1 year of Google Apps Script experience
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with building G Suite Add ons for Docs, Sheets, Slides
- Strong experience in web development and experience using various types of web APIs.
- Experience with source control (GIT) and the ability to think and work structured with regards to best-practise version handling and deployment strategies.
- Strong knowledge of Google G Suite APIs is required (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Admin, Gmail, Directory, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience with other GCP APIs is highly desired.
- Proficient in advanced use of G Suite products (Docs, Slides, Forms and especially Google Sheets)
- Experience with SQL and data queries in general is required.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic environment where you are the subject matter expert
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment with minimal direction and oversight.
- Good understanding of authentication- and authorization protocols and flows (SAML, IAM, Identity Platform, OAuth, OpenID Connect, Service Account- and key management, etc.) is desired.
- Understanding of Big Query and Data Studio, including corresponding API is highly beneficial.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: IICA - on a retainer basis. This is not a full time position
Contract level: IICA-1
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.