Project Officer (Education)
Post Number : 5AFED0001PA
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kabul
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-JAN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Office in Kabul has been providing technical assistance to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan including Ministries of Education, Higher Education, Labour and Social Affairs as well as Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority in the areas of system building, policy and planning, curriculum reform (both formal and non-formal education), TVET, and improved access to literacy.
With the financial support from the Government of the Republic of Korea, UNESCO Office in Kabul sets up a project to support the development of non-formal TVET in Afghanistan by scaling up the Afghan Korea Vocational Training Institute (AKVTI) in Kabul, established in 2004, into a National Centre for Excellence for TVET in Afghanistan. This will enable the center to expand its function from simply the delivery of TVET programmes to a center for capacity development and a model of best practice for other vocational training centers across Afghanistan.
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Kabul and Representative of UNESCO to Afghanistan and direct supervision of the Head of Education Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the management and implementation of the project. In particular, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
1. Project implementation
- Finalize the operational plan in consultation with national stakeholders and UNESCO;
- Supervise administrative matters concerning the activities of the project, including development of terms of reference, contract and budget management;
- Provide overall coordination of the project by liaising with the main government counterparts and ensure regular communication and consultation with national stakeholders and UNESCO staff, including at the International Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training, UNESCO Headquarters, and UNESCO’s Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education, to implement project activities in a high quality and timely manner;
- Organize and coordinate seminars, national conferences, consultation meetings and other activities for diverse target groups according to the approved project work plans and prepare and document minutes of key internal and external meetings;
- Work with the Head of Education Unit to maintain active presence in meetings and events with donors and international partners such as other UN entities and NGOs on matters relating to TVET; and
- Ensure synergy among National Technical Assistants (NTAs) and staff from the MoLSA, TVET-A and AKVTI.
2. Technical assistance to the project
- Provide necessary technical input and policy advice to project areas relating to upgrading AKVTI into a National Centre for Excellence for TVET in Afghanistan, including but not limited to needs assessments, establishment of a certification system, development of a master plan, development of curriculum of trades, management of support for non-formal TVET graduates and labour market assessments;
- Keep abreast of TVET sector development in Afghanistan and in the region and identify best practices to advise AKVTI and relevant national stakeholders on implementation of the project; and
- Support the capacity building of relevant staff from the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA), the TVET Authority and the AKVTI.
3. Project monitoring and reporting
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation plan as well as a communication plan for the project;
- Periodically review and refine project activities and adjust programmatic and financial plans as necessary;
- Analyze, edit and compile project documentation and prepare briefing papers, website articles, and other supporting documents for internal use, particularly with a view to making strategic decisions and adding technical value and input to project activities; and
- Prepare periodic narrative reporting to the donor and liaise with UNESCO Headquarters to ensure that periodic financial reporting is submitted to the donor in a timely manner.
4. Provide input to strategic planning of UNESCO Office in Kabul’s country strategy and resource mobilization initiatives, bringing in experience gained from the project.
5. Perform any other tasks in regard to contributing to the planning and implementation of other projects concerning education in general as well as for TVET in Afghanistan.
• Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, social sciences, development studies or related area.
• At least four years of relevant work experience in education, preferably relating to TVET and non-formal education.
• Work experience in developing countries or crisis-affected contexts.
• Excellent understanding of development partners’ expectations and trends in the education sector.
• Excellent project management skills, including results-based management, financial management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
• Strong sensitivity and adaptability in post conflict countries and diversity (culture, gender, religion, race and nationality).
• Integrity, reliability and sense of commitment in the execution of duties.
• Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
• Good analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to draft clearly and concisely.
• Ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to build and maintain partnerships.
• Ability to work under pressure, to manage heavy workloads and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to detail and quality of work.
• Strong IT skills including good knowledge of standard office software and online collaboration tools.
• Excellent level of English (spoken and written).
• Advanced university degree (PhD) in the field of education, social sciences, development studies or related area.
- Minimum two years acquired at international level in the field of education.
- Relevant work experience in managing projects on TVET and non-formal education.
- Relevant work experience in the United Nations System or within an international organization.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s mission and action in the position’s field.
- Knowledge of the national languages of Afghanistan (Dari and/or Pashto).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.