New Delhi (India)
Publication date: 29 December 2020
Application deadline (midnight India time): 28 January 2021
Vacancy no.: RB/NEWDELHI/GS/2020/02
Job ID: 5067
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-New Delhi
Location: New Delhi
Contract type: Fixed Term
The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to local recruitment regulations and Article 4.3 of the ILO Staff Regulations. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in India.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is INR 784,918 yearly, less deductions for pension and medical .
The ILO New Delhi Office houses the Decent Work Team for South Asia (DWT) and Country Office for India. The DWT covers seven member countries - Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka and (Bhutan - a non-member country). The ILO New Delhi Country Office has primary responsibility for the implementation of India Decent Work Country Programme, including technical cooperation activities in India, with regular budget and extra budgetary technical cooperation projects and the supervision of the associated staff.
As a team member, the incumbent provides a range of operational and administrative support services in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner. These relate to the delivery of administrative and office support, HR, finance and travel and logistics, and require the use of the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. The incumbent performs at a fully operational level, requiring correct application of established rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines to recommend an appropriate course of action in the assigned area(s).
The position works under the supervision of the Deputy Director. Supervision received is focused on the timeliness of process execution and the quality of outputs. The incumbent works with a moderate degree of independence. Work is reviewed for correctness in the application of applicable standards.
Internal contacts are with staff and managers in field offices, project locations and headquarters to provide operational and administrative support and to exchange information on specialized processes and procedures for the delivery of services. The incumbent liaises with diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain clearances, process and follow up on administrative actions.
External contacts are primarily with counterparts in UN agencies and other international organizations, embassies, permanent missions and concerned authorities to seek or provide information for the completion of pending issues. The incumbent also liaises with service providers to follow up on pending issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
In accordance with the needs and priorities of the office where the position is located, the incumbent will provide services from among the following duties:
- Provide a range of administrative and/or operational support services. Contribute to the smooth and efficient functioning of the work unit by evaluating requirements, organizing and carrying out work assignments accordingly and proposing improvements to work processes.
- Prepare, draft and finalize general and administrative correspondence and undertake quality control of outgoing documents for accuracy of information, grammar, style and compliance with applicable standards. Provide informal translations.
- Maintain the official travel plan of the work unit. Make travel and accommodation arrangements, coordinate visa and security requirements, and process administrative transactions.
- Initiate, process and follow up on HR and finance administrative actions, verifying that information is in compliance with applicable standards. Input complete data in the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Perform other HR and finance support functions as required. Process arrangements for the arrival and/or departure of staff, including travel, security clearances, visas, transportation of personal affects and other benefits and entitlements and follow up with concerned authorities as appropriate.
- Perform operations for authorizing and effectuating expenditures. Prepare inputs, run reports and extract and compile data to support optimal budget utilization and preparation of programme and budget and workplan documentation.
- Coordinate and provide a range of administrative and financial support for meetings, workshops and other events. Ensure the timely preparation, translation, publication and dissemination of documents; presentations, briefing files and related materials. Take minutes and follow up on implementation of decisions.
- Ensure the work unit’s filing systems are maintained, accessible and efficient. Update websites and databases. Gather, consolidate and present information/data on specific topics.
- Keep abreast of changes to administrative rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines and share information with staff, providing further clarification as required. Provide guidance to more junior staff, as required on applicable standards and work procedures.
- Perform and/or coordinate other general administrative duties such as those related to attendance and leave recording, office space, registry, inventory and procurement matters.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
optional section (only if needed)
Completion of secondary school education.
Minimum of five years of general administration and office support work experience. Experience of working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of Hindi.
Knowledge and Competencies (technical/behavioural)
Knowledge of general office support and operational areas.
Awareness of the nature of ILO programme and activities.
Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
Efficiency in providing administrative support for the organization of meetings and other events.
Ability to search, retrieve and compile information from various sources.
Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems.
Analytical skills and attention to detail.
A high degree of discretion with sense of responsibility in dealing with confidential matters.
Interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
ILO is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates,irresepctive of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.