Accounting Unit Manager/Senior Financial Analyst
Côte d'ivoire (Cote d'Ivoire)
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Grants Manager for a potential USAID-funded new malaria activity in Cote d’Ivoire.
Position is contingent upon project award and funding.
The Unit Manager leads and manages the country accounting department, safeguarding the assets of Management Sciences for Health and ultimately the donors against fraud, loss or misuse and to ensure proper documentation and processing of the finances of the organization. The position is primarily responsible for, but is not limited to, ensuring country financial systems are effectively functioning to meeting implementation needs of all MSH projects, maintaining compliance with accounting protocols and cost accounting standards, and supervising the accounting department staff in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department. S/he ensures that the department operates as a cohesive, neutral, functional unit that provides high-quality, responsive, timely and cost effective services across all projects within the framework of local laws, MSH policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements.
- Understand and articulate in the basic tenets of Internal Control and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in order to assist other staff members. Understand and apply US Government Cost and Audit Principles. Be able to train other staff in proper financial record keeping procedures to ensure compliance with established MSH financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Implement standard MSH procedures to manage and monitor the financial resources of the office, including that all payments comply with MSH rules and regulations, are supported by adequate documentation and payroll is administered timely.
- Ensure that required financial controls are in place to avoid unauthorized use of funds and that prior authorization is obtained before any payment.
- Examine all financial documents for payment (i.e. purchase requests, purchase orders, agreements, leases, grants, and contracts) and ensure the completeness, accuracy and validity of financial data, including accounting classification and computations.
- Ensure Audit Compliance utilizing principles of audit and performance. Provide an audit interface between MSH corporate accounting and MSH external audit firms and donor auditors including preparation of Audit and follow-up.
Fiduciary and Banking
- Maintain relationship with bank. Monitor all MSH bank accounts in Cote d’Ivoire and review and reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Monitor the maintenance and operations of all banking transactions to ensure that adequate funds are available at all times to cover MSH Cote d’Ivoire operations.
- Supervise and follow up with all field offices on outstanding issues in respect to activities and ensure that all advances have been reconciled.
- Ensure that all activities for the month have been submitted in time and approved within two weeks and to ensure that activities have been funded.
- Manage monthly funds request and ensure timely liquidation of advances
- Manage & oversee preparation and timely submission of QuickBooks to Head Office each month.
- Manage & maintain relationship with provider(s) of Mobile Money services. Monitor MM accounts and review and reconcile on a monthly basis.
- Establish and maintain a system of Mobile Money payments that is efficient and effective, and reduces the need for cash payments to as near to zero as feasible.
- Manage & oversee petty cash, its replenishment requests and ensure availability of adequate funds; and that the account(s) is/are reconciled on a monthly basis.
Payroll and Taxation
- Monitor and manage relationship with external payroll vendor.
- Manage MSH Cote d’Ivoire Payroll to ensure that all payments are in line with the Cote d’Ivoire Taxation and Labor Laws.
- Oversee collection of staff timesheets in order to prepare monthly payroll and costing.
- Ensure all government tax laws and regulations are adhered to, taxes are accurately computed and paid timely, and proper documentation of all tax payments and claims for reimbursement are submitted. Ensure that all avenues are pursued to obtain reimbursements.
- Ensure current standing with all mandated tax and registration including submission of payments and reports.
- Ensure that the Accounting Unit provides a customer service / client oriented service which is seen to add value to all Projects/Programs
- Lead and manage the department by aligning staffing and systems with country projects and available resources to provide timely, cost effective, and high quality support and financial & accounting services to all MSH country-based projects and activities.
- Manage the Accounting Work Flow processes to ensure that they are accurate, and that these are translated into Service Level Agreements which respond to the needs of Projects/Programs
- Participate in risk register development and implementation, and take proactive steps to mitigate risks within accounting functions
- Conduct accounting training for the field offices. Carry out spot check reviews on accounting files.
- Supervise all accounting staff , including performance management (including regular results, check-ins, formal appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support)
- Ensure actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in the Procurement Policy Guidelines
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity
- Ensure that unit staff charge their time to the different Programs/Projects/Country Office in a manner which accurately reflects their level of effort.
Perform other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time
A degree in Accounting and either full professional qualification in accounting or an MBA;
Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, donor cost principles and donor procurement integrity standards; experience with USAID-financed organization is an advantage
At least 5-7 years’ experience as an accountant with not less than 5 years’ experience in supervising accounting staff.
Capacity to deal with multi-tasks, attention to detail and quality, able to adhere to tight deadlines, able to work independently and as a team member, and excellent time management skills;
Experience in dealing with complex budgets is an added advantage;
Demonstrated experience to provide technical assistance to organization and conduct trainings.
Working experience with standard accounting software packages(QuickBooks experience preferred), proficiency in Excel and strong computer skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in French and English.
Experience in maintaining excellent communication with Headquarters.
Ability to travel