Senior Program Officer
Senior Program Officer
The Senior Program Officer will be part of GGGI India country team to provide technical support on sustainable energy project portfolio development and implementation. This will include conducting landscape assessments, support implementation of projects, lead discussion with country governments focal points, stakeholder consultations, reviewing/drafting analytical papers, participating in knowledge sharing programs, and refining/solidifying, and expanding GGGI’s service offerings related to the sustainable energy portfolio in India Country Program.
The individual shall support ongoing and planned projects such as BioCNG, Electric Mobility, Solar Parks, Energy Efficiency, and other activities across GGGI India country operations by engaging with in-house and external experts/organizations to deliver the project strategy, workplan, and outputs.
The individual shall engage with relevant government officials in India, and other external stakeholders to expand the energy portfolio. The individual shall also be expected to assist in the development of partnerships with private sector players to ensure environmentally sustainable and inclusive practices and catalyze investment for sustainable green energy development.
The general roles and responsibilities of the Program officer will include:
- Support the County Representative and Asia Regional Director in the planning and execution of sustainable energy projects in the country.
- Take responsibility as key technical person for providing cutting edge advisory support, take responsibility of project implementation as part of core team, and support energy project origination including proposal writing.
- Support development and dissemination of flagship/core knowledge projects in the energy programmatic solutions area including developing business models and financial analysis.
- Assist in the provision of on-demand analytical and operational support to in-country activities.
- Conduct technical, institutional, and regulatory assessments and deliver innovative policy solutions.
- Prepare capacity building materials and deliver knowledge sharing workshops both internally and externally. Support GGGI strategic partnerships with other institutions.
- Understand and where applicable Manage project cycle(s) and proactively seek synergies and collaborative opportunities with others in the thematic portfolio
Current Sustainable Energy Portfolio
- Biological Compressed Natural Gas (BioCNG)
GGGI’s Biological Compressed Natural Gas (BioCNG) program objective is to develop a vibrant BioCNG market with focus on three waste streams namely, organic municipal solid waste, wastewater/sewage, and agricultural waste. The technical assistance program will create enabling business environment for the BioCNG, reduce barriers to the recovery and use of BioCNG, and support environmentally sustainable and commercially scalable business models that are targeted for the local conditions. The program is initially targeted for Indonesia, India, and Thailand.
The BioCNG program is intended to support Government of India’s Sustainable Alternatives Towards Affordable Transport (SATAT) Scheme, National Policy on Biofuels, and Swachh Bharat Mission. The program is expected to create enabling business environment for treating organic/agriculture waste, supporting clean energy transition through sustainable source of energy for industrial and transport sector. Through this program the Government intends to build the institutional capacity, address binding constrains, and demonstrate financial viability of BioCNG projects. The program will engage with 10 municipalities covering 3 states to develop business models, conduct pre-feasibility/feasibility studies, and mobilizing green finance for selected projects.
- Electric Mobility
The transport sector accounts for 18% of total energy consumption in India. This translates to an estimated 94 million tonnes of oil equivalent (MTOE) energy. Under BAU, it is estimated 200 MTOE of energy supply annually, would be required by the year 2030 to meet the demand of this sector. The Government of India’s FAME schemes mandate the adoption of EVs, with a goal of reaching 30% EV penetration by 2030.
GGGI is providing technical assistance to bridge the infrastructure gaps and strengthen the GOI initiative for adoption of E-Mobility in the country. GGGI is implementing EV technical assistance projects in India including in partnership with Road Development infrastructure company in the state of Maharashtra (MSRDC).
- Delivery of strategic partnerships
GGGI has entered strategic partnerships with number of key institutions/ organizations in India to deliver on the ongoing projects and other global ambitious targets e.g., GGGI has entered a strategic partnership with International Solar Alliance to implement “1 Million solar pumps initiative” in 9 target countries in Africa and Pacific region.
- Master’s degree in energy, infrastructure finance, or other energy related field with additional relevant in-depth analysis and research expertise. Bachelor’s degree may be considered if coupled with additional relevant experience.
- 10 years of professional experience in the areas of renewable energy is preferred.
- Experience in solar, E- mobility charging infrastructure, battery storage, and planning and management of renewable energy related projects is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written in English; Fluency in Hindi will be a big advantage.
- Experience in renewable energy grid integration and technical understanding of power utilities (especially in relation to charging infrastructure, and energy storage systems).
- Good understanding or practical experience working with energy policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations in India.
- Demonstrated knowledge in developing financial business models and financial analysis.
- Good analytical skills and ability to efficiently manage several activities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience of working with government officials and technical experts, donor representatives and private sector actors.
- Proven capability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Corporate Behaviors and Values
GGGI needs a person who can bring more than knowledge and passion to the role: someone who has the grit and resilience to do this work, someone who is proactive, dynamic, and able to work together with minimal supervision. The successful candidate is a skillful team member with an ability to interact within and beyond GGGI, a thoughtful communicator, a deep thinker, and a diplomatic change agent who understands the dynamics and tensions in this kind of diverse, global landscape. The individual should be:
- Ready to anticipate and provide necessary support to the team leader and those who need support
- Able to handle complex multi-stakeholder relationships
- Keen on maintaining a high degree of professional integrity
- Be willing to travel internationally and curious about new environments and new countries
- Able to effectively communicate, listen to others, and create and promote an environment for open communication
- Able to work effectively with other teams of a high degree of cultural/professional diversity
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.