Associate Scientist -Bean Program Molecular Biologist
With the aim of successfully keep tackling these challenges and to ensure optimal exploitation of genomic technologies for CIAT’s research on common beans, the Center is looking for a strategic, highly motivated, Bean Program Molecular Biologist. The post-doctoral position will be located at CIAT’s regional office in Palmira, Colombia.
The role of this position is to develop molecular tools for application in the genetic improvement of common bean. These may be molecular markers, or the implementation of novel methods of genomic tools.
• Library preparations for sequencing
• Sequencing of key genotypes
• Deployment of SNP technology
• Basic programing skills,
• Bioinformatics analysis with cutting edge tools for: GBS, RNA, DNA sequences
• Genetic introgression studies
• Gene expression measurement.
Application to breeding:
• The implementation of molecular markers for molecular breeding,
• Next generation sequencing data and bioinformatics to develop molecular markers
• SNP fingerprinting platform for diversity analysis, quality control and molecular breeding.
Qualifications and requirements:
• PhD in molecular biology, crop science or related fields,
• Demonstrated ability in modern molecular biology techniques.
• Ability to lead a small research team including laboratory assistants and statistical analysts.
• Willingness to work as a team member with colleagues in the pursuit of Bean Program objectives
• A demonstrated ability to elaborate high quality publications meeting international standards.
• Full English language communication skills, both written and oral.
• Spanish language skills would be considered a plus.
• International experience would be welcome.
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited post-doctoral position, and will be based at the Americas Hub, located in Palmira, Colombia, reporting directly to the leader of the Bean Program. The initial contract will be for up to two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
The Alliance Bioversity-CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the CIAT Human Resources Office to Tomás Solís (email@example.com) and should clearly indicate “Application: Bean Program Molecular biologist”.