HIV Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
The HIV, Health and Development Strategy 2016-2021: ‘Connecting the Dots’ elaborates UNDP's work on HIV and health in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. UNDP has an important role in supporting health outcomes by supporting countries to address the social, cultural and economic determinants of HIV and health, in partnership with other UN entities and international organizations. As a trusted, long-term partner with extensive operational experience, UNDP supports countries in effective implementation of complex, multilateral and multi-sectoral health programmes while simultaneously investing in capacity development so that national and local partners can assume these responsibilities over time.
UNDP Kyrgyzstan was appointed by the Country Coordinating Mechanism (CCM) as the Principal Recipient (PR) for The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria grants implementation in 2011. The UNDP Principal Recipient role was further extended by Country Coordinating Mechanism and Global Fund to the period 2021-2023. Since 2011, UNDP as PR has been working with national partners and The Global Fund to improve management, implementation and oversight of the HIV, TB and malaria programmes, while simultaneously developing national capacity of health institutions/Ministry of Health to assume the PR role over time.
The PR role consists of ensuring successful implementation of approved work plan and budgets, achievement of Programme targets, goals and objectives, effective oversight of the grant activities of the Sub-recipients and service providers, ensuring programmatic and financial accountability, and capacity building of national counterparts. The UNDP is responsible for the management and the coordination of the implementation of the Programme and providing oversight, and effective and transparent use of The Global Fund resources.
The initial assignment is for 6 months, subject to further extension based on performance evaluation and budget availability.
Duties and Responsibilities
HIV Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist cooperates with UNDP staff in the Kyrgyz Republic, governmental and non-governmental organizations to implement activities outlined in the approved project document, work plans and grant budget related to HIV component under the Grant. Under the direct supervision of HIV/TB Programme Coordinator/ Deputy Programme Manager, HIV Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist should:
1. Ensure effective management of the monitoring and evaluation process, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Developing Performance Framework and Monitoring and Evaluation plan for HIV component under the Grant in accordance with the Global Fund requirements;
- Providing technical support to National HIV Programme and Sub-Recipients (SR) to strengthen their monitoring and evaluation systems. Assess the M&E capacities of SRs, and develop and lead the implementation of a capacity development plan in the M&E area. Develop and deliver trainings/capacity building in M&E for other implementing partners personnel (including development of training materials and facilitation of the training workshops);
- Participating, contributing and leading the process of on-line MIS data base development in the collaboration with national partners, UNDP\GF staff, other relevant sides in the country and development User manual for SRs;
- Participating and contributing to development of new National HIV programme and Monitoring and Evaluation Framework within it;
- Updating, as per Programme needs and in consultation with the National HIV Programme, Monitoring and Evaluation plan for the HIV component under the GF grant, while ensuring consistency with the national M&E framework;
- Collaborating with the National HIV Programme in the development of systems and data collection tools to capture data on HIV indicators in the performance framework;
- Developing the plan of regular monitoring visits to ensure timely and quality implementation of projects vis-à-vis approved plans and contracts implementation, proper funds utilization and programme quality, performing trips to regions for monitoring of implementation of SR activities, analyzing data obtained during monitoring and evaluation process, preparing reports and providing recommendations for improvements in programme quality and data management to programme staff of the PIU and to relevant entities (SRs, Republican AIDS Centre, MoH); Advising on identification of potential implementation problems and bottlenecks; Organizing periodic grant performance review meetings as required;
- Validating the quality of collected data (through sample analysis);
- Advising on strategic using of information obtained during monitoring and evaluation visits;
- Supervising all programmatic and technical aspects of maintaining existing MIS as well as provides recommendations for improvement if needed;
- Leading preparation and supervises implementation of survey and researches, including bio-behavioral sentinel survey, Stigma index research etc.;
- Assessing capacity and provides training to the staff of UNDP and specialists of sub-recipients on principles of monitoring and evaluation;
- Verifying compliance of the planned and implemented activities according to the project document and work plan. Advising on modalities for improvement of implementation of project activities and increasing their effectiveness;
- Reviewing and updating as necessary, in collaboration with SRs, forms for data recording and reporting;
- Contributing to the development of Progress Update/Disbursement request to the Global Fund on semi-annual basis (part related to HIV indicators).
- Prepares Dashboard report to the CCM on a regular basis (related to HIV indicators), drafts other relevant reports as necessary;
- Preparing and submitting to the Deputy Programme Manager monthly, quarterly and semi-annual reports on implementation of activities of the grant for sharing with the donor and other interested parties;
- Participating in preparation of the annual report on a course of implementation of the grant;
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Deputy Programme Manager and Programme Manager, to support the overall Management, Supervision, Monitoring and Evaluation of the implementation of the Program.
2. Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on following:
- Identifying and formulating lessons learned and documenting best practices from evaluations and studies to be integrated into project reports;
- Supporting the design and delivery of M&E training and/or capacity building to personnel of MoH, other SRs, and implementing partners involved in the implementation of GF grants;
- Advising on introduction of innovative work approaches on conducting of monitoring and evaluation of HIV infection;
- Participating in external supervision and evaluation missions of the GF and other agencies by facilitating access to M&E data as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
- Working with People;
- Drives for Results.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work within the area of expertise;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with national and international counterparts;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document.
Relating and Networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with external partners and staff;
- Builds wide and effective networks within UNDP, within the wider UN system and with external parties;
- Relates well to people at all levels;
- Manages conflicts internally (within the team) and externally.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine, other health related sciences, business administration, economics, social sciences, humanities or other related disciplines;
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, business or public administration, medicine or relevant social sciences is an asset.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant programmatic experience in HIV programmes or projects;
- At least 2 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of HIV prevention programmes or related areas;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of HIV related monitoring and evaluation system;
- Strong knowledge of HIV epidemiological surveillance;
- Experience in conducting population estimation assessments and integrated bio-behavioral surveys in the field of HIV /AIDS is a strong asset;
- Experience of using electronic MIS systems (electronic PLHIV tracking system, MIS database, RDS analysis tool, electronic MAT registry) within HIV programmes is a strong asset;
- Experience in developing and facilitating training in HIV related M&E is a strong asset;
- Strong proven communication skills;
- Strong report writing skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point etc.);
- UNDP and/or Global Fund work experience, and/or other HIV related projects in international organizations experience is a strong asset.
- Fluency in Russian and English languages,
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.