Specialist Project Finance (7928)
The Hague (Netherlands)
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. We won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian and development programming and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
We are currently recruiting for the position of
SPECIALIST PROJECTS FINANCE
As part of HUMANITARIAN UNIT
one year (with possibility of renewal)
The Hague (36 hours)
Description of Humanitarian Unit
Responsible for resource mobilisation and grant management (Dutch Relief Alliance, ECHO, other humanitarian donors, Netherlands based foundations); humanitarian program development and multi-country project implementation; and in organisational positioning and influencing towards the Dutch humanitarian sector. Support Oxfam Country Offices situated in countries with chronic, recurring humanitarian needs to develop project proposals and implement quality humanitarian programs, ensure effective liaison (case management) between Country Offices and The Hague during scale up and implementation of humanitarian response. Oxfam Novib is currently undergoing a reorganisation. From April 2021, its Program Department will be organised around Goal teams focusing on the four priority goals: Fair, Safe, Equal and Green and nine priority themes. The Humanitarian Unit will become part of the Safe Goal Unit, with expended responsibilities to include resource mobilization, program development, and supporting quality project implementation in the areas of conflict transformation, peacebuilding and migration.
Main goal of the job (Humanitarian Unit)
- Contribute to realization of project goals of the Humanitarian Unit by drawing-up, monitoring and implementing consolidated budgets of the unit’s projects.
- Keeping project registrations in SAP up to date, including registration of new projects, risks assessments and closure of projects.
- Responsible for quarterly financial management reporting.
- Pro-active support in the development of financial aspects of new project proposals & budgets.
- Contribute to fund-raising strategies and financial management information for the Unit Manager.
- Effectively manage the financial risks and opportunities of externally funded projects, and making the necessary internal and external financial reports and arranging for project audits.
- Ensure donor compliance and proper financial administration of Oxfam Novib staff booked onto externally funded projects.
- Ensure quality delivery of key projects in close coordination with relevant Oxfam Country Offices, including attention to strong and accurate financial administration and management.
- Responsible for intra-Oxfam transfer of funds (OPA’s), including administrative elements.
- Is focal point for the Global Humanitarian Team on matters like Humanitarian Emergency (CAT) fund allocations, staff budget and deployments.
- Conduct partner financial assessments (using PRISMA tool).
- Providing hands-on support at field level during Humanitarian Responses and training Country Offices in delivering project requirement.
This position also dedicates approximately 1.5 days per week to serving as the financial officer of the Staff Bureau of the SHO (Samenwerkende Hulporganisaties)/Giro555
Main goal of the job (SHO)
- Responsible for preparing annual accounts according to RJ650 guidelines.
- Act as contact person for the accountant and follows up on findings of the accountant during annual audit.
- Responsible for the planning and control cycle including drafting the annual budget and preparing quarterly monitoring reports.
- Monitoring the overall financial health of Giro555, including the state of the reserves.
- Calculating the allocation key of participating organizations.
- Checking the annual accounts of the members related to the allocated appeal funds and the data they need to provide for the allocation key.
- During a Giro555 national appeal prepare the appeal budget, monitor its depletion, organize transfers of raised funds to the members.
- Check the financial part of the interim and final reports on the national appeals.
- Keeping financial and administrative procedures up to date.
- Act as contact person for the banks and is responsible for the proper authorization of Giro555 staff with the banks; checking and authorization of bank payments.
- For the EAA foundation (a global cooperation of organisations like Giro555): prepare the annual budget, monitor budget depletion, draft final report at end of the year, facilitate internal audit by other EAA members
Requirements for the job
- Have an academic level (master degree) or a relevant qualification at bachelors/HBO (Higher Vocation Education) in finance management or economic area;
- You have 4 years of relevant work experience in a financial position including financial management, planning, administration and budgeting & auditing;
- You have experience with donor compliance, also working via country offices and local partners, including capacity assessment, risk management;
- You have experience in working in a humanitarian context and understand the specific risks associated with the financial aspects of humanitarian projects; understanding of humanitarian donor requirements (e.g. from ECHO);
- Experience in independent financial planning, budgeting, reporting, project audits and capacity to evaluate these against the local political and socio-economic context;
- You have a result oriented approach; are able to support, train others;
- Have excellent written & spoken Dutch and English skills (for project development, reporting); overall good communication skills;
- You have knowledge and experience of relevant financial IT-systems (SAP, Accountview);
- Are able and willing to travel regularly, if needed for longer periods of time, to conflict-affected and fragile contexts.
- You have experience in preparing annual accounts according to RJ650 guidelines
- You have experience on the planning and control cycle including monitoring the longer term financial health of an organization
- You are able to distinguish between the different types of audit reports and able to assess these.
Specialist Projects Finance
In principle, a Specialist Projects should have the skills to able to work for different projects. Oxfam Novib seeks flexibility in the organisation and its staff in the future and to ensure this, if needed as the organisation develops and funding patterns change, a Specialist Projects Finance can be asked to move from one project to another, or seconded from one unit to another. Following the Oxfam Novib re-organization, Specialists Projects Finance will be housed in the Project Management Support Unit and seconded to the Goal Units, in this case the Safe Goal Unit.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 8. The gross salary range is between € 2.567 to € 3.948,- on the basis of 36 hours per week. The position will be based in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
More information and application procedure
If you are interested, please upload your application letter and resumé/cv in English or Dutch via the ‘apply’ button below, no later than 18 January 2020.
For more information about the position, you can contact Suying Lai at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received by email will not be processed.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated. Note that this vacancy is posted internally and externally. Internal candidates take precendence.