Senior National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (for Filipino Nationals only)
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response’s efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national, international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Under the guidance of Head of Humanitarian Advisory Team (HAT), the incumbent will work in close collaboration with Government and relief/recovery partners to support the formulation of strategies of engagement in support of the mandate of OCHA at both technical and operational levels. He/She will have demonstrated knowledge of and established partnership with Government institutions both at national and sub-national level. He/She will have demonstrated substantial experience of humanitarian or other relevant global environment initiatives. He/She will have strong familiarity of policy, and advocacy issues in relation to humanitarian and Disaster Risk Management and response. He/She will be familiar with the Government, UN Common System and relevant exposure to international institutions.
In a broader context, the role of Humanitarian Affairs Specialist contributes to the Manila HAT Office’s support to the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator’s Office (UNRCO), and the operations of the OCHA Regional Office for Asia Pacific (ROAP), in Bangkok. UNOCHA is looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to making a positive contribution to Humanitarian in the Philippines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Ensures effective coordination of disaster preparedness, response and recovery activities through adequate liaison and partnership with Government officials and local/national partners.
Analytical leadership, development and implantation of programme strategies/mechanisms
Strengthens disaster preparedness and operational readiness measures
Strengthens disaster preparedness and operational readiness measures
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management
1) Ensures effective coordination of disaster preparedness, response and recovery activities through adequate liaison and partnership with Government officials and local/national partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports the Head of HAT in his/her areas of responsibility as required, including deputizing in the management of staff and general operations of the office;
- Facilitates building sector-specific strategies and mechanisms to address operational issues at the field level in collaboration with the Government and other partners;
- Ensures/supports the planning, implementation and strengthening of inclusive coordination in his/her area of responsibilities, identifies gaps and suggests corrective actions and ensures inclusion of cross-cutting issues, such as gender mainstreaming, cash programming, civil-military coordination etc.;
- Depending on the situation, leads/supports inter-agency coordination forums as well as other internal and government-led meetings, as required;
- Maintains and strengthen relations with Government and relief/recovery partners in the field to enhance coordination, information sharing, trust building, advocacy and knowledge transfer in all matters related to streamlining and strengthening humanitarian coordination, preparedness and response;
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues, synthesizing best practices and lessons learned directly linked to operational and programme policy goals; and
- Identify and design training and capacity building initiatives in line with OCHA’s work plan and country strategy. Organization of training for the operations/project staff and partners, on programme issues
2) Analytical leadership, development and implantation of programme strategies/mechanisms focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide analysis and policy advice on current and emerging humanitarian and recovery issues;
- Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of humanitarian issues in the field;
- Draft and prepare regular situation papers/reports highlighting relevant operational factors affecting the humanitarian situation and response efforts;
- Follow-up on relief and recovery issues identified by partners, provide inputs to discussions and present conclusions in reports; and
- Support the development of strategies/mechanisms to strengthen the effectiveness and quality of cross sector initiatives.
3) Strengthens disaster preparedness and operational readiness measures, including a focus on achievement of the following results:
- Support disaster management activities, facilitating joint approaches with UN and partner agencies for assessments, operational planning and response.
- Support to emergency information needs through coordinated reporting, emergency reporting and information analysis.
- Support inter-agency contingency planning and take the lead in matters related to natural disasters and conflict, including ensuring that the various contingency plans are updated, consistent and well-coordinated; and
- Support the promotion of common needs assessment tools and the coordination of humanitarian partners for undertaking rapid impact assessments in the field;
- Performs other duties that may be required by the Head of HAT Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
4) Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to humanitarian issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to humanitarian goals.
- Coordination and support to humanitarian institutions that will address the humanitarian related problems and needs in collaboration with the Government, UNRCO, HAT and other strategic partners.
- Maintain effective network with development partners and Government at national level and subnational level and where necessary link up with the corporate Global Policy Network of UNOCHA and other international actors.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to other
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Priority Setting. Ability to scan and synthesize diverse sets of information to arrive at strategic priorities and positioning recommendations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Climate Change (General). Knowledge of climate change Including climate change international regime and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Risk Management & Resource Allocation. Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them. Ability to distribute resources in a strategic or tactical way. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Results-based Management. Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Communication. Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Mentoring and capacity building. Ability to coach/mentor technical staff to enhance sustain capacity development. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Team building. Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences, Economics, Political Sciences, international studies, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing humanitarian affairs, hands-on experience in Humanitarian Affairs/ International development. Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other international humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset. Also experience in establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Experience in inter-cluster coordination is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
Language Requirements: Excellent oral and written command of English is required
- Excellent liaison, interpersonal and general communications skills; Ability to work with minimum supervision in a multi-cultural environment; Coordination and Information Management skills; Training and or capacity building skills; Presentation skills; Excellent command of MS Office suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- This position may involve extensive traveling within Philippines as well as providing international surge support, primarily within the Asia Pacific region
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.