Project Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant - G5
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC/2021/1
Publication date: 06 January 2021
Application deadline (midnight local time): 22 January 2021
Job ID: 5168
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 Months
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Lebanon.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is LBP 55,568,000.- yearly.
Responding to the continuing Syrian refugee crisis, now compounded by the financial crisis and the COVID-19 outbreak, the Employment Intensive Infrastructure Programme in Lebanon (EIIP) aims to create jobs for vulnerable Lebanese host community members and Syrian refugees through construction and maintenance of locally prioritised infrastructure, where Local Resource-Based Technology (LRBT) and Decent Work strategies are chief strategies. ILO is leading project implementation, working in partnership with the Ministry of Labour and Ministry of Social Affairs and in coordination with participating municipalities and relevant technical line ministries. Funding is provided by the German government through the German development bank KfW.
Decent work principles is a key differentiator for the EIIP compared to other similar interventions. This will continue to be promoted and strengthened during the course of the project. A focus on decent work and security has helped to secure participation of women and Lebanese workers on the projects.
The project is comprised of two complementary components:
(i) Direct employment creation using EIIP, Local Resource based Technology and Decent Work principles for sustainable infrastructure development, environmental works and maintenance of public assets.
(ii) Enhancing capacity for job creation and asset management with the Ministry of Labour (MoL), the Ministry of Social Affairs (MoSA), the private sector and participating municipalities.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), and in in close collaboration with the EIIP National Decent Work and Gender Officer, the Monitoring & Evaluation Assistant will perform the following tasks under "Description of Duties".
Description of Duties
The M&E Assistant is responsible for data entry and maintaining the overall EIIP excel database. The M&E Assistant will support in the design, coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning framework of the Project. S/he will also provide assistance to the EIIP team, in particularly in relation to the communications strategy.
- Assist in monitoring and implementation of the Project M&E framework and data collection, to ensure that information is available for monthly updates, bi-annual progress reports, impact assessments and formal independent project monitoring.
- Assist in providing regular reviews of the project Work Plan, comparing actual progress to plan and update it in coordination with the CTA based on information provided by other team members.
- Review the quality of data collected, the methods of collecting it, and the degree to which the collected data will provide adequate information to monitor project indicators
- Maintain the EIIP general excel database including all key indicators for employment generation, contractor training and works contracts. The task requires to proactively seek and obtain relevant information from the project team and keeping the database up to date at all times.
- Assist the CTA to prepare and analyze information in the project database by creating graphs and diagrams using the available information, identifying trends, quality concerns or gaps. Assist with surveys and impact studies and documentation of lessons learned.
- Provide information and updates on project targets and progress on a regular basis to KfW and to various planning frameworks including ILO Regional Office Planning and Budget, LCRP Activity Info, etc.
- Assist with project communication including preparation of visibility materials, such as graphs and diagrams, organise project photos and draft power point presentations.
- Participate in relevant meetings, evaluations, assessments, evaluations, workshops etc.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Completion of secondary education. Tertiary education would be an advantage.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in an M&E position including data management.
- Advance user of EXCEL spreadsheets.
- Experience of MIS, specifically in designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems
- Experience in planning and managing surveys.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
Excellent command of English and good working knowledge of Arabic.
- Ability to work well in a team, with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision, and take initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, good computer skills.
- Ability to deal with people from different cultures and different religious background with tact and diplomacy and to build strong working relationships.
- Ability to work with word processing, spread sheet, web-browser, as well as other computer software packages required for work.
- Ability to organize own work and to work independently as well as work in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet the deadline
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.