Emergency Specialist - GFD (General Food Distribution)
Emergency Specialist - GFD (General Food Distribution)
Duty Station [Hodeida-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role:
- Responsible for providing specialized knowledge and operational know-how within emergency and general food distribution;
- Delivers organisation's policies and programmes within sector area;
- Provides technical support and capacity building to program team through regular field visits and tailored trainings;
- Responsible for quality of implementation and compliance with DRC and donors’ requirements and procedures;
Responsible for ensuring the submission of timely and quality DRC and donor reporting;
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
Technical support of Emergency Projects
- In close coordination with the Area/Base Managers and the Emergency Manager, identify priorities and technically assist the program teams with improving quality of implementation and compliance with DRC and donors’ requirements and procedures
- Conduct compliance checks and report the findings and escalate issues with Emergency Manager and Area/Base Managers
- In line with DRC and the donor’s country sector strategy and modalities of implementation, develop tools and area-level standard operating procedures to guide field teams during implementation
Monitoring, Reporting and Development:
- Develop program monitoring tools
- Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standards
- Program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
- Monitor financial spending and budgets and advise area management and field teams on spending
- Write donor and management reports ensuring that these are accurate and timely submitted
- Continuously update project documentation and files
- Promote internal coordination by participating in coordination meetings and by proactively identifying areas for integration with other program departments
- Work closely with Emergency Manager, Area/Base Managers, and the Grants unit to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budget
- Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction and closely cooperate with DRC MEAL team for monitoring and evaluation of activities in the sector area
External Coordination and Representation:
- Ensure proper communication between the donor and DRC team, ensuring that concerns are timely addressed and escalated to the management team
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders
- Participate in relevant coordination meeting
- Promote coordination with relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian partners, including through area-level coordination mechanisms
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in general food distribution working for an INGO
- Experience working with WFP and implementing WFP project is essential
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
- Full professional proficiency in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Bachelor Degree or Diploma or closely related Degree.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Arabic – Fluent
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends on 31st Dec 2021, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Yemen – Hodeida.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (G2 Non-Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 19 Jan 2021. The interviews are expected to take place on a rolling basis.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo