Humanitarian Affairs Associate (for FILIPINO NATIONALS only)
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), which is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response’s efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national, international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
Under the overall guidance of Head of HAT, and direct supervision of Humanitarian Affairs Officer, the Humanitarian Affairs Associate an integral part of the Mindanao team administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. She/he works in close collaboration with provincial and regional governments, UN and Non-Government relief and development partners to support technical planning and operations aligned with the mandate of OCHA at in planning, preparedness and response.
Duties and Responsibilities
Effective Coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Substantial assistance in the implementation of inclusive, field-level coordination mechanisms, including liaison with relevant UN operational agencies, NGOs, and local authorities.
Support in Reporting focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Regular monitoring, analysis and reporting on humanitarian developments in Mindanao, supporting the preparation of analytical reports highlighting social, political, humanitarian and other relevant factors affecting the overall humanitarian situation; and
- Effective monitoring of humanitarian risks to ensure that contingency plans are up to date, consistent and well-coordinated including availability of resources; supporting the inter-agency contingency planning.
Ensures efficient Advocacy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, and media, development of appropriate strategies, etc.; and
- Support emergency preparedness measures including drafting inter-agency contingency plans, developing and leading preparedness exercises, monitoring natural disaster trends, and provide preparedness advisory services to local governments and partners.
Support to the Information Management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide secretariat and coordination support to the Mindanao Humanitarian Team, and provide analytic inputs to humanitarian strategies; and
- Liaise with humanitarian partners on the collection of information to effectively map areas of humanitarian needs and response activities in support of coordination efforts; and track information required for early warning of potential conflict and conflict-related vulnerability.
Perform other duties, as assigned by the Head of HAT focusing on achievement of the following results:
- This position may involve extensive traveling within Mindanao, as well as elsewhere in the Philippines and to provide international surge support to regional countries.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs.
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others.
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making.
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation.
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
TECHNICAL / FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
Data Analysis and Visualization. Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings- undertake & provide analysis of data to assess Org performance and or global trends. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Budget Management. Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Treasury Management. Ability to manage organization's holdings with the ultimate goals of maximizing liquidity and mitigating risk. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Operational Efficiency. Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Communication. Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders. Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education or bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration.
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test required.
- 6 years of relevant experience with Secondary Education or 3 years of relevant experience with bachelor's degree.
- Experience in Humanitarian Affairs/international development.
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other international humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset. Knowledge of Mindanao is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent oral and written command of English and Local language is required.
- Command of one or more languages local to Mindanao would be an advantage.
- Non-Smoking environment.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.