Germplasm Conservation Specialist (21-03)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 21-03 GCS/NRS/HQ
Germplasm Conservation Specialist The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a Germplasm Conservation Specialist for CIP’s Genebank to ensure that the plant material preserved at CIP will be safe and secure in the event of a disaster by implementing complementary conservation methods of sweetpotato and proper safety backups of all germplasm. Also, the selected candidate will manage the media preparation and washing areas used by laboratory personnel and tracking of associated supplies.
About the Biodiversity for the Future Research Program:
CIP’s Biodiversity Research Program hosts the genebank and associated activities. The goal of the program is that CIP, community conservationists and other stakeholders collaborate on dynamic in situ and ex situ conservationofpotato,sweetpotato,andunderutilizedAndeanrootandtubergeneticresourcestoenhance their use by present and future generations and respond to climate change.
About the role:
TheGermplasmConservationSpecialistwillbe basedinCIP-Headquarterandwillsuperviseactivitiesrelated to the acquisition of germplasm.
• Supervise and monitor the proper maintenance and evaluation of Genebank backups in different storage locations. Track all numbers and report on their status yearly or as needed. • Coordinate the preparation of plant material for domestic and international shipments of backups. • Update the Genebank database with information related to the status of collections stored as backups, ensuring the quality of the data.
• Perform the ISO 17025 documentary control in the Genebank, verifying the appropriate update of physical and virtual information (ISO website).
• Coordinate and direct the conservation of the in vitro Sweetpotato collection • Ensure equipment is working properly and find efficiencies for the in vitro Sweetpotato collection, washing and sterilization, and safety backups
• Manage common areas (washing area, material sterilization area, and resource production area) of the in vitro Genebank.
• Propose methods for improving the management and monitoring of common areas in order to reduce costs and time.
• Collaborate in the development of procedures for long-term storage of backups. • Provide internal and external training on backups and other processes related to common areas. Participate in Genebank exhibitions with an emphasis on backups and other processes related to common areas.
• Develop performance evaluations and identify succession planning and development of direct reports.
• Comply with CIP employment and Talent Management policies and practices in the supervision of personnel.
• Comply with applicable health and safety CIP policies and procedures.What are we looking for? • Master’s degree in Biology, Agronomy or related field.
• At least 6 years of experience in similar positions, knowledge in Quality Management and Productivity and Genetics resource management.
• Advance level of Microsoft office.
• Advanced written and spoken English.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background. • CIP is a recent World Food Price Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. • CIP is a member of the CGIAR, CGIAR is a global partnership that unites international organizations engagedinresearchaboutfoodsecurity.CGIARresearchaimstoreduceruralpoverty,increasefood security, improve human health and nutrition, and sustainable management of natural resources What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
• One-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open- vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on January 20, 2021 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply