Rotterdam Convention Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Plant Production and Protection Division (NSP) promotes sustainable crop production intensification and diversification. This requires the integration and harmonization of all appropriate sustainable crop production policies and practices in order to increase production in a sustainable manner to address food security and nutrition challenges while protecting the environment for future generations.
The Rotterdam Convention Secretariat (NSPRD) is one of six teams in the division. The Rotterdam Convention is a multilateral environmental agreement, with the aim to protect human health and the environment from certain hazardous chemicals and pesticides in international trade. The Secretariat is jointly administered by FAO (NSP) and UNEP.
The Consultant reports to the Programme Officer under the technical guidance of the Team Leader of the Secretariat of the Rotterdam Convention (NSPRD).
Support the Secretariat in delivering a programme of work to strengthen Parties’ national capacities to implement the provisions of the Rotterdam Convention and to meet their obligations with a particular focus on the sound management of pesticides.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Supervise data collection and field surveys and analyse results
- Support the identification of less hazardous alternatives to the use of highly hazardous pesticides;
- Prepare progress reports according to respective project documents, addressing the respective project outputs, indicators, means of verification and project milestones according to stipulated deadlines and forms;
- Support development and delivery of technical assistance activities in response to the needs of Parties;
- Prepare awareness raising and out-reach materials;
- Deliver training workshops (also online) applying newly developed training material, undertake duty travels (pending end of COVID-19 pandemic) and follow up on technical assistance activities on behalf of the Rotterdam Convention Secretariat;
- Keep abreast of ongoing technical assistance activities inside and outside the team and the division;
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Life science, Natural Science, Agriculture, International Relations, Social Science or a related field
- At least one year of relevant experience in supporting development, implementation and monitoring of technical programmes/projects, policy support, scientific assessment of chemicals and/or pesticides, capacity development activities, development of guidance, training materials and tools and implementation of international instruments
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency