IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Investment Centre Division (CFI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
CFI is a multidisciplinary division composed of four regionally focused services, namely Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean Service, and Near East, North Africa, and West Africa Service.
The Programme Officer reports to the Chief, Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service.
Provision of administrative assistance and support to the work planning, monitoring and reporting of investment operations (projects and programmes) in the areas of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, developed in collaboration with cooperating partners, and in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
Develop, monitor and report on divisional programmes/projects in the assigned regional area.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities; collects, analyses and presents statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources;
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends, participation in impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Participates in survey initiatives; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions;
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget.).
- Supports the coordination of the work planning, monitoring and reporting of work plans with International Financing Institutions (IFIs), in particular the World Bank, International Fund for Agriculture and Development (IFAD), and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD);
- Contributes to the planning, monitoring and reporting of divisional results in support to FAO Strategic Framework;
- Provides guidance on the implementation of FAO corporate policies and recommendations to streamline internal processes and improve operations
- Assists in the management of investment operations (projects and programmes), assignments or initiatives led by the division in a geographical area
- Liaises with cooperating partners on the reporting of the status of implementation of the portfolio of activities
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in business administration or public administration, social science, political science, international relations or a related field
- Three years of relevant experience in project or programme management, administration at national and international level or related area
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of administration, finance, programme management
- Extent and relevance of experience in management support of programmes/projects in developing countries and namely for planning, monitoring and reporting
- Extent and relevance of experience in results-based management and support
- Extent of knowledge of the procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank, the International Fund for Agriculture and Development (IFAD), and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset