National Expert on sustainable natural resources management and investment
Vientiane (Lao )
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The FAO Representation in Lao PDR will provide support to the government of Lao PDR in, coordination with relevant government counterparts including the Department of Forestry (DOF) and the Department of Planning and Finance (DOPF) under MAF, the Department of Land (DOL) under MONRE, and other relevant partners.
The national expert will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) for Lao PDR, under the technical supervision of the Forestry Officer based in Lao PDR, and other technical officers based in the Rome Head Quarters and Regional office in Bangkok, and in coordination with relevant government counterparts including the Department of Forestry (DOF) and the Department of Planning and Finance (DOPF) under MAF, the Department of Land (DOL) under MONRE, and other relevant partners.
The promotion of sustainable use of natural resources, particularly sustainable forest management and trade, the promotion of Responsible Agriculture Investments, and the promotion of access to secure over land in rural landscapes, the office is seeking a national expert.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the implementation of country-based activities for the UN-REDD project on Sustainable Forest Trade in the Lower Mekong Region particularly as they relate to data and monitoring (60% of time allocation); and
- Facilitate the implementation of activities in Lao PDR under the FMM/GLO/127/MUL and GCP/INT/920/GER projects to promote youth and global instruments including the “Principles for Responsible investment in agriculture and food systems” under the Committee on World Food Security (CFS RAI) and associated ASEAN RAI and the “Voluntary guidelines on responsible governance of tenure of land fisheries and forests in the context of national food security” (VGGTs) in liaison with partners (35%);
- Act as focal point for liaising with the DOL and partners on behalf of FAO, including as Co-chair of the Focal Group on Sub-legislation under the Land Law to provide technical advisory directly, and in coordination other FAO personnel, for updating/drafting of sub-legislation under the Land Law, and day-to-day management of an anticipated Letter of Agreement with DOL to work on the drafting and consultation of relevant sub-legislation under the Land Law 2019;
- Undertake any other relevant tasks assigned by FAO (5%).
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- The incumbent should be a national of Lao PDR or resident in the country with a work permit
- University degree/ University degree/technical diploma/high school diploma.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in forestry land and natural resource.
- Good command of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in forestry land and natural resource
- Familiarity with Department of forestry, Department of Land and priorities
- GIS skills
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.