HR Senior Assistant
Background Information - Pakistan
UNOPS Pakistan office is part of the Bangladesh Operational Hub in the Asia Region. With a steady growth of the project portfolio in the recent years and a new strategic direction,
UNOPS has been supporting projects in Pakistan for more than 15 years and in 2010 opened a new office in Islamabad to support the post-flood relief and recovery effort.
UNOPS in Pakistan implements projects in the following thematic areas:
Early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure
Project management and related monitoring and verification Community development
Gender justice and women's empowerment
HR services to partner organizations
Functions / Key Results Expected
Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices for delivery of HR services.
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information.
- Ensures implementation of HR strategies and procedures for partner managed personnel (PMP) for contract management, benefits administration and travel related matters
- As an interlocutor of HR, ensure that new hires' first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed.
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on routine elements of UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans.
- Support the completion of recruitment processes including offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information systems in line with UNOPS policy.
- Undertakes reference checking, elements of longlisting, and organization of testing and interviews; fee calculation, minutes of general-service recruitments,
- Finalizes selection and other process approvals.
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on routine aspects and elements of their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding.
- Research precedents and present recommendations to the supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines.
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems.
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- Set up and maintain reference files/records.
- Register details as appropriate in the One UNOPS-ERP System (OU) and in the Staffing Table
- Assist in compiling data for reports related to, staffing tables, , payroll reports, salary reviews and others, as required
- Process monthly payroll through the online Pay System and manually process related entitlements such as certification of payment, R&R, danger pay and DSA
- Assist in processing travel claims, overtime as needed
- Perform accurate calculations and verification of necessary documents for claims (travel & over time) processing within the turnaround time after receipt from region.
- Maintain accurate record of all received claims as per prescribed format and financial requirement.
- Follow up or process payroll verification.
- Facilitate and monitor insurance claims for reimbursements
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Manage record maintenance; including personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
The effective and successful achievement of results by the HR Senior Assistant directly impact on the compliant execution of HR processes in the respective unit and the efficient and effective performance within it. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Completion of Secondary education is required.
- First University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and practices highly desirable
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, and/or HR-generalist services.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Experience in use of HR information systems, Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Full knowledge of the working language is essential (English).
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This is a local post and open to Pakistani nationals only.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICAContract level: L-ICA 5 Local ICA Support
Contract duration: ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: