Translator/Interpretation Consultant (4 posts- Retainer Contract)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality, and in all deliberations and agreements linked to the 2030 Agenda. The entity works to position gender equality as fundamental to the Sustainable Development Goals, and a more inclusive world.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment
The main objective of this consultancy is to do the simultaneous interpretation and written translation from Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese to English or English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese.
Scope of Work/Duties and Responsibilities
UN Women Timor Leste requires the service of translators and/or interpreters under the direct supervision of the Country Representative and National Programme Officer(s), the Consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Undertake content translation from Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese to English or English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese as required.
- Submit quality final translations in a timely manner to UN Women represented by the Country Representative and/or the National Programme Officer(s).
- Provide quality simultaneous interpretation services during events conducted by UN Women or partners from English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese and or English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese.
- Timely submission of content translation from Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese to English or English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese
- Fluent and easily understandable simultaneous interpretation from Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese to English or English to Tetum/Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese
Duration of Assignment
The assignment is for the duration of 8 February 2021 – 7 February 2023. The consultant will be engaged under a retainer contract, which facilitates direct engagement of the consultant depending on need and availability within the contract period for a pre-agreed fee.
UN Women will provide the Translator with the materials for the assignment, and cover transportation for the district-based travel and related daily subsistence allowance (DSA).
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
Leading by Example Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women, with demonstrated experience of researching or working on gender issues;
- Strong research and writing skills, with strong analytical skills and creative thinking;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Previous experience (also volunteer experience) from the non-profit sector is an advantage.
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities
- Ability to produce quality deliverables in a timely manner
Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and Power Point
Required Skills and Experience
Contractor’s performance will be evaluated based on: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered.
Required experience and qualifications
The consultant should fulfil the following requirements:
Hold a high school diploma, or the equivalent. A Bachelor’s degree would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in translation and interpretation is required.
- Familiarity with UN work would be an advantage.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in Tetum/Bahasa Indoensia/Portuguese/English.
- Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience in the field of recruitment.
- Financial proposal, specifying a total lump sum amount breaking down the professional fee per word/per page or per hour for the interpretation
- Sample of the past work or indicate previous work with UN Women.
Applications will be evaluated based on the Cumulative analysis.
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight; [70%]
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight; [30%]
A two-stage procedure is utilised in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Experience and skills
Language and other skills
Total Obtainable Score
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidate.
Financial/Price Proposal Comparison:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the price component is 100.
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price. [Lowest Price x 100 / Other Price under Consideration] = Points for Other Candidate's Price Component.