Colombo (Sri Lanka)
We Effect is recruiting a Finance Officer
We Effect is an International Development Cooperation Organization, having its headquarters in Sweden and working in 24 countries in five regions: South Africa, Eastern Africa, Latin America, Europe and Asia. In line with its regional and global strategy, We Effect, Sri Lanka has been supporting development and humanitarian work for over many years; mainly working in partnership with cooperatives and community-based organizations with the aim of reduction of poverty and injustice. We Effect promotes a human right based approach to strengthen participating civil society organizations and cooperatives to address the needs and rights of their members and communities and works in the areas of Organizational development, Sustainable agriculture, Business development and Financial inclusion, Gender equality promotion and Social inclusion and reconciliation For more information, see www.weeffect.se.
We Effect is currently hiring for a Finance Officer to join our Country office in Sri Lanka. Reporting to the Finance Controller, the Finance Officer will play an active role in supporting all aspects of finance controlling in the county office.
The prospective candidate is expected to adhere to the following general obligations of We Effect.
• Adhere to the basic principles and values of We Effect. The principles and values are expressed in the global strategy, sector specific strategies and polices, as well as in the regional strategy for Asia.
• Adhere to We Effect administrative requirements and internal control systems including the Code of Conduct and Anti-corruption Policy.
• Take active participation and contribute to the further development of your team.
• Communicate challenges and seek means to solve them jointly. Take initiatives to improve the quality of We Effect work, promote active dialogue, synergies and learning within the organization.
• Promote the development of relationships with the partner organizations on a concept of partnership founded on shared values, mutual respect, reciprocity of learning and transparency.
• Maintain close and continuous relations with the target population and its grassroots organizations, and provisions to listen to their expectations, to provide them with the accounts of work done on their behalf and to exchange know-how and lessons learnt.
• Perform any other duties that may be required or requested by the Financial Controller/Country Director for the smooth operation of programs and projects supported by We Effect.
As Finance Officer, the prospective candidate will provide following services to the We Effect Country Office in Koswatta, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka by undertaking key responsibilities mentioned below;
1. Be responsible for the finance officer functions of the country office; including assist to Financial Controller of WE Effect Country Office
2. General accountancy in the Country office. This includes preparing payment vouchers, collection of all supporting documents, timely payments to the suppliers / vendors & consultants, attending to banking activities, General ledger maintenance, journal entries and accounts reconciliations, etc.
3. Maintain Country Office all financial records and local partners’ financial reports, all supportive documentation, maintenance of accounting records and filing of all relevant financial documents.
4. Work closely with Partners to ensure compliance with all applicable We Effect and Country Regulations.
5. Assist in preparation of Country Office and partner budgets.
6. Support FC in annual auditing process
7. Carry out any other tasks assigned by the line manager or by the Country Director for the good functioning of the Country Office Program, and its projects
This opportunity calls for a self-motivated individual with a demonstrated ability to work independently, managing multiple priorities in a changing work environment and to grow their career in an International Development Organization.
• Diploma or similar academic qualification on Accounting and Finance (AAT stage 3 or similar capacity)
• At least 2 years’ experience in a related field. Previous experience in the development sector would be an added value.
• Ability to communicate with partners and be familiar with partner organization financial functions monitoring.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
• Fair knowledge of national relations, and development cooperation
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Good working knowledge of related tax and legislative requirements.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written in English. Knowledge of Local languages; Sinhala and/or Tamil will be an added value.
• Proficient with computer skills, especially Microsoft Office, Exposure to working knowledge of Quick books and other standard accounting practices.
• Availability to work full time.
• Able and willing to travel within the country when required
• Knowledge and experience of working in Excel and spreadsheets
• Oral and written communication skills in English is a must togteher with Sinhala and/or Tamil.
• Experience working with housing cooperatives
Apply by uploading your CV and the cover letter to Impactpool no later than 1st February 2021 at 5 P.M local time. Your application documents should be in English.
This employment is a permanent position with a six months’ probation period. Start date as soon as possible.
We Effect works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organisation. We welcome applicants regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, race, colour, ethnicity, religious belief, political opinion, national extraction, social origin, HIV/AIDS status, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, and/or trade union membership or activities.
We look forward to receiving your thoughtful application to join our team. Your time in preparing your application is much appreciated, however only appropriately qualified candidates of interest will be contacted.
For more information
Please reach out to Mr Mayooran Thevasigamany, Country Director, Sri Lanka Country Office on firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiry regarding this vacancy.
If you have any technical difficulties uploading the application, please contact Impactpool.
If you want to alert We Effect on suspected discriminiation, corruption or other serious misconduct during the recuritment process, do not hesitate to use our Whistleblowing System.