Technical Legal Advisor
With funds from the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Counterterrorism, IDLO is implementing a 16-month project entitled “Enhancing the Capacity of Justice Institutions to Deliver Justice in Somalia.”
The purpose of this project is to increase the capacity of judges and prosecutors in Somalia to fairly, effectively, and efficiently adjudicate/prosecute civil and criminal cases and to enhance access of the Somali population to formal justice institutions. IDLO will invite judges and prosecutors from the Federal Member States for a four-day conference in Mogadishu, which will be designed by the Technical Legal Advisor and managed by the staff of the IDLO Somalia country office. The topics of discussion will include: (i) ways to unify the application of laws across FMS; (ii) professional development opportunities for FMS judges and prosecutors; and (iii) lessons learned, challenges, and best practices. The Technical Legal Advisor will facilitate these discussions in order to get a substantive response from all participants and capture their respective inputs.
After the conference, the Technical Legal Advisor will draft a roadmap, which will guide JTI as well as the Judiciary on an action-based plan to harmonize the application of laws and promote educational opportunities for judges and prosecutors in the FMS. After the roadmap is drafted, it will be given to the Office of the Prime Minister to be included in a National Action Plan or, it can also be forwarded to parliament for consideration.
The Assignment falls within the framework of IDLO’s engagement in enhancing the capacity of justice institutions to deliver justice in Somalia. The JTI Curriculum Consultant will work in collaboration with IDLO Somalia’s Country Office staff, Somali government representatives, Somali justice sector actors, as well as other stakeholders.
The Contractor will report to the Field Program Manager. The Assignment will be provided over a period of 3 months from 15 January 2021 to 15 April 2021.
Key Results Expected
Conference Planning and Preparations:
Plan the national conference, including:
- Review the needs assessment conducted by UNDP;
- Partake in stakeholder consultation meetings;
- Liaise with the JTI Director and Strategic Advisor;
- Draft the conference agenda;
- Identify participants for the conference;
i. Final product: Successful implementation of the National Conference
ii. Date: February/ March 2021
iii. Remuneration: $7,500 USD
Writing of Roadmap and Conference Report:
1. Draft a Roadmap that includes a summary of the conference, action points and next steps for the Ministry of Justice, Federal AGO, Federal Office of the Chief Justice, as well as the AGOs in the FMS and the Judiciary in the FMS.
a. Final product: Roadmap
b. Delivery Date: 15 April 2021
c. Remuneration: $7,500 USD
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Work Experience
- University degree in law;
- Five or more years working in the Somali legal sector, Somali government, or legal reform;
- Familiar with the political climate in Somalia;
- Proven experience in drafting legal or policy reports;
- Work experience in an international organization is highly desirable.
- Fluency in Somali and Engish is required
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Consultant assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.