Instructional Designer (Part-time), People Management Unit (PMU)
New York City (United States of America)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Field Human Resources Department (Field HR) is responsible for recruitment, selection, placement, and retainment of qualified and well-suited field staff to meet the growing needs of MSF field operations.
The People Management Unit (PMU), which is based in New York, is responsible for supporting the development of MSF’s field and HQ staff’s management skills. Ways of Working Trainings (WoWs) are delivered to all field managers and supervisors, coordinators, Cell managers and technical referents. The Instructional Designer will be part of a small team supporting the scale up of virtual and blended trainings and associated support activities.
The Instructional Designer will lead the design of all WoW course materials including presentations, learning activities, facilitator guides, micro-videos and follow-up learning materials. In 2021, this role will focus on the following areas of work:
- Finalizing all WoW 1 and WoW CC materials for both virtual and blended programs
- Developing the WoW 2 program
- Adapting WoW modules for other training programs
- Developing follow up materials and the WoW Continuing Professional Development program
The People Management Unit’s activities are expanding and this position will anchor consolidating and extending the design of all core courses. Flexibility in taking on tasks and contributing to this growth will be key to the success of the People Management Unit.
I. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development of new Ways of Working (WoW) and other People Management Courses (65%)
Defines each module’s learning objectives, as well as researching content, ensuring that a wide range of perspectives and standard management approaches are identified.
Maintains a comprehensive bibliography of source material for each module. Compiles follow up reading lists for each module – one for participants and another for WoW facilitators.
Leads the design of new WoW modules including:
- Updating and revising, as needed, the pedagogical framework for the existing courses, as well as individual modules and the new WoW 2 course
- Identifying relevant content and key messages for each module, framing content so that it is consistent with OCP’s L&D Philosophy and Approach to Team Management
- Working with the PMU Director to identify the most appropriate learning activities and then preparing all the necessary training materials.
- Preparing any presentations required for a module, ensuring that the PMU Style Guide is followed and that appropriate visuals are identified to illustrate key messages
- Preparing facilitator notes for each module, cross-referencing content between modules.
- Ensuring both virtual and blended versions are completed for each module
- Working with the PMU Administrative Associate to source new learning aids and software, and OCP’s L&D team to create e-learning modules
Identifies new, creative learning activities for the WoW 2 and other OC management courses
Supports the piloting of new content and learning activities (either with MSF-USA, OCP or other OCs).
After each pilot works with the PMU Director to ensure feedback – from both anecdotal and from course evaluations – is integrated into the final versions of each module ahead of the next course delivery.
Development and/or adaptation of FMT modules for other OCP trainings (25%):
Consults with OCP Training Coordinators to identify the People Management learning needs for each group of participants.
Adapts existing presentations and prepares new training materials to reflect the field realities of each training cohort and to distinguish these short trainings from the virtual and blended WoW courses.
Adjusts the Facilitator Notes so that these reflect the needs of the revised activities and content.
Works with the WoW Program Manager to frame technical trainings for facilitators and technical producers, updating their Manuals based on feedback from virtual and blended WoW sessions.
Support to the PMU team and OCP L&D team (10%)
Works with the Mentoring and Coaching Program Manager to identify what WoW content should be made accessible to OCP’s mentors and coaches through webinars, as well as the stand-alone WoW Toolkit.
Reviews and approves the PMU Administrative Associate’s assessment of the pipeline of support activities (Training Kit preparation, translations, graphic design development) before new interns and additional volunteers are recruited and trained.
Contributes to other training initiatives in the MSF movement as per the PMU Director’s request.
Attends the OCP’s Training Unit’s meetings, with the WoW Program Manager, in order to identify projects which may have pedagogical implications for the New York-based team.
The Instructional Designer may undertake additional field assignments to facilitate the WoW 1 Blended program in the field (2-6 weeks duration each).
II. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Indirectly supervises the PMU Graphic Design and Mentoring and Coaching Interns for specific projects.
May give assignments to and coordinate work with office volunteers supporting the PMU.
III. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
IV. EXTENT OF PUBLIC CONTACT
Within the MSF movement interacts with all levels of staff, field workers and colleagues primarily in OCP to deliver WoW trainings.
V. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
To travel to the field, the employee must attest to physical fitness to endure physically difficult, high stress situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, carry a backpack or other equipment of up to 50 pounds, to ride long distances over very poor road conditions, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. WORKING CONDITIONS, TRAVEL AND ENVIRONMENT
The duties of the job require regular attendance for 22 hours per week. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, and after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required. Some flexibility required as not all MSF offices, missions and facilitators may be available during regular U.S. working hours.
May be required to travel for domestic and international business travel as well as to MSF field projects. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions.
· Minimum 3-5 years team management experience, plus a Bachelors’ Degree, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
· Has attended or facilitated a WoW training
· Outstanding facilitation skills
· A minimum of two humanitarian field assignments and two years’ experience, at least one in a Coordination position
· Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and French.
· Strong knowledge of MS Office programs (including MS Teams), Mural, Tembo and other software regularly used to build new training activities
· Demonstrated ability and experience in:
o determining training and other learning and development related needs
o training new facilitators to deliver training programs
o writing detailed documentation to support facilitators and technical producers
· Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF.
· Strong interpersonal skills, especially cultural sensitivity
· Ability to handle a large volume of work
· Outstanding proven time management and organizational skills
· Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
· Ability to work with limited supervision and direction
· Excellent judgment and diplomacy
- Qualifications and experience in adult learning and/or training **
· Experience as a MSF mentor or coach is preferred
Part Time Exempt
Fixed term contract – 11 months (February – December 2021)
Starting salary high 80s to mid 90s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
February 1, 2021
Working Time %
60% (21 hours a week)
How to Apply
Please visit our Careers Home Page to apply for this position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls or emails please.
Please note that no relocation assistance within the United States or Europe will be offered for this position. All candidates must have permission to live and work in the United States or the European Union. It is anticipated that the successful candidate may be required to work from home for the duration of this contract.
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Please apply directly to the position : https://jobs.doctorswithoutborders.org/job/New-York-City-Instructional-Designer-%28Part-time%29-NY-10006/703922600/(https://jobs.doctorswithoutborders.org/job/New-York-City-Instructional-Designer-%28Part-time%29-NY-10006/703922600/)