Policy and Influencing Officer
Ramallah (Palestinian Territory)
Internal /External Advert
Policy and Influencing Officer
40 hrs. per week (100%)
Estimated start date: ASAP
Based in Ramallah /Jerusalem with travel to Gaza
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here**
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Oxfam Novib in OPTI is looking for a Policy and Influencing Officer
Job Purpose - Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Policy and Influencing Officer will be a member of the OPTI Economic Justice team, supporting Oxfam’s global and national influencing work related to the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel (OPTI). This includes providing technical support to policy and influencing work within the Economic Justice Programme. Oxfam’s overall influencing goal in the OPTI is for more poor, vulnerable, and marginalized Palestinians to be protected and advance their rights to greater and more gender equitable control over their lives and resources.
The postholder reports directly to the Economic Justice Program Manager
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (Technical, Leadership, People and Resource management)
· Support implementation of the national and international objectives of Oxfam OPTI’s Influencing Strategy (2021-2024) related to the Economic Justice Programme, including policy, advocacy, campaigns and communications activities, with adherence to Oxfam’s global standards, relevant timeframes and donor requirements;
· Provide technical support to the development and implementation of national and international influencing objectives within projects and in close coordination with programme staff and partners;
· Ensure harmonization and alignment with the influencing work performed within the Economic Justice, Saving Lives and Gender Justice programmes as well as across the youth strand in relation to Oxfam’s OPTI Influencing Strategy, including ensuring regular updates and coordination;
· Strengthen coordination between Oxfam advocacy and programmes implemented by partners and allies in country and building the capacity of local partners in designing and delivering effective national and international influencing strategies and actions;
· Conduct of high quality evidence-based research, production of policy and advocacy materials to feed the development of national and international campaigns connected to Oxfam’s specific influencing objectives, as well as technical support to partners;
· Support in coordination of field visits for journalists, diplomats, parliamentarians, other advocacy targets and Oxfam representatives from capitals;
· Develop media/communications products – for example digital content and audience friendly products, fact sheets, stories, case studies;
· Build relations with both national allies and advocacy targets; undertake analysis and monitoring of the positions of key stakeholders in country.
· Conduct regular monitoring, evaluation and learning of Oxfam’s influencing work in relation to OPTI;
· Undertake a regular and comprehensive analysis of news, other actions, and statements in order to improve information and analysis, and to also enable more accurate identification of risks.
· Provide regular progress reports and updates to both programme and influencing teams; and provide quality inputs/analysis on the project influencing component for donor’s reporting. Support to ensure adequate input into national influencing components of project proposal design, budgets and reporting to donors.
Requirements and Qualifications
· Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and value as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights .
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· Mutual accountability
· Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
· A University degree in political science, journalism, law, human rights, or development. Advanced degree is an advantage;
· 5-7 years proven work experience in policy, advocacy, media or campaign work at local, national and international levels;
· Proven ability to conduct high level research and development of policy and campaigns materials;
· Excellent communication and copy-editing skills (writing and speaking) in English and Arabic;
· Proven ability to communicate and adapt complex policy and development issues to different levels of target audience (essential)
· Experience with digital communications tools and social media channels, including producing high-quality storytelling content (essential).
· Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; to troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, consistently on schedule, without loss of attention to detail and budget;
· Strong interpersonal and coordination skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Understanding of gender issues and commitment to promoting gender equity and mainstreaming gender in lobby, advocacy and media work;
· Excellent networking and negotiation skills to develop good working relationships within Oxfam and with the media (essential)
· Ability to think and operate strategically and creatively (essential)
· Results-oriented and strong analytical skills
· Knowledge of local, regional and international mass media.
· Keeps up to date with internal or external activities which may influence role.
· Anticipates outcomes of activities and uses initiative to keep these activities on course.
· Actively promotes high standards and continuous improvement and synergy where possible.
· Proven experience of using MS Office applications (Word, Excel and Power Point) (essential)
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
· Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
The employee will be contracted by Oxfam with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Salary range 126,309- 189,463 ILS gross per annum, for a 40 hour contract. Salary offered will be subject to funding available and competences.
Fixed term one year contract ,renewable subject to funding and performance
Interested candidates can see full job description and apply for the job application through the link; https://rb.gy/j3csuj by no later than 23rd January 2021 . **
*Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.