Project Officer (HLPE)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition (HLPE) was established as part of the 2009 reform of the international governance of food security, to advise the Committee on World Food Security (CFS), which is the foremost intergovernmental and international platform dealing with food security and nutrition. In 2009, the Committee on World Food Security went through a reform to make it more effective by including a wider group of stakeholders and increasing its ability to promote policies that reduce food insecurity. An important part of this reform was the creation of the HLPE to keep CFS up to date with worldwide knowledge and abreast of emerging trends in food security.
The HLPE is composed by: a) a Steering Committee, composed of 15 internationally recognized experts in a variety of food security and nutrition related fields; b) Project Teams, selected to develop specific reports on a project-base; and c) the HLPE Secretariat, which is hosted by FAO, at its Rome headquarters. The post is located in the HLPE Secretariat.
The Project Officer (HLPE) reports to the HLPE Coordinator.
The Project Officer (HLPE) will work in close consultation with the HLPE Steering Committee, HLPE Project Teams and with the CFS Secretariat. The Project Officer will provide technical oversight and coordination to the development of HLPE reports and issues papers, as requested by the CFS. He/she will provide oversight to the implementation of MTF/GLO/244/MUL trust fund in support to the HLPE, including regular monitoring and reporting. He/she will assist in formulating, managing and implementing assigned programmes, projects, activities and initiatives, including those related to advocacy, knowledge management and dissemination. He/she will provide technical inputs and support to the HLPE Steering Committee in the processes leading to the United Nations (UN) Food Systems Summit, as appropriate.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of programmes, projects, products and services.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties;
• Coordinates of programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
Oversight of publications, outreach and knowledge management
• Supervises and coordinates all stages of the preparation of HLPE reports, including management of e-consultations and peer-reviews, consolidation of inputs from e-consultations, peer-reviews, and Steering Committee's reviews of HLPE reports drafts at different stages; coordination of proof-reading, layout and translations and online publication/printing;
• Supervises and coordinates dissemination of HLPE reports, assisting the HLPE Coordinator in outreach activities and monitoring of HLPE impact;
• Coordinates logistical and technical aspects of HLPE-related virtual and in-presence events and conferences. presentations, seminars;
• Contributes to write content and updates of the HLPE and CFS websites, and disseminates HLPE work through social media for enhanced visibility;
Management of Project Team for HLPE Reports
• Provides technical support to the HLPE Steering Committee and the HLPE Coordinator in selection of Project Teams for HLPE Reports and follows up on administrative steps for the engagement of selected experts, including through Letters of Agreement (LoAs);
• Provides technical oversight to the Project Team in accordance with LoAs, and supervises the preparation and organization of the meetings of the Project Team;
Management of Steering Committee and CFS-related activities
• Prepares documents and background materials related to the HLPE Steering Committee meetings, providing inputs to the agenda and organizational matters as needed, in close consultation with the HLPE Coordinator;
• Assists/takes the lead in the conception and organization of public events / workshops co-organized by the HLPE with other partners, including preparing communication materials and technical presentations, dissemination of the information and results/conclusions;
• Provides technical assistance to the HLPE in preparations of the CFS Sessions and events. Prepares all background material and synthetic documents, assists the HLPE Chair/Vice-Chair and Project Team Leader/ other HLPE Steering Committee members in their participation at CFS and ensures coordination of the various stages of the processes to ensure fulfillment of HLPE's role during CFS;
• Provides technical inputs and support to the HLPE Steering Committee in the processes leading to the UN Food Systems Summit, as appropriate;
Monitoring and Reporting
• Assists in managing and supervising the operational and financial activities of the projects funding the HLPE's work, and in particular MTF/GLO/244/MUL, preparing all necessary documents related to funding: letters of agreement, financial and narrative reports, provisional budgets, workplans, and communication with donors;
• Prepares reference documentation and technical presentations for meetings of the Oversight Committee of the Project MTF/GLO/244/MUL;
• Provides oversight to contracts and payments, under the ultimate responsibility of the HLPE Coordinator;
• Ensures compliance with the project's grievance mechanism, including complaints' resolution, in compliance FAO internal procedures;
• Develops project proposals for extra-budgetary resource mobilization;
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural economics, social sciences or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in economic, quantitative and qualitative analysis of food and agricultural issues and food systems, and of project management;
• Working knowledge of English (level C) and limited knowledge (Level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge of food systems, food security and nutrition and the sustainable development agenda;
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge of applied research in the field of food systems, food security and nutrition, including experience in preparation of reports for publication;
• Extent and relevance of experience in economic and policy analysis of issues in food security and nutrition, agriculture, rural development, and of social, environmental and economic aspects of food systems and related issues at a national, regional and/or global scale;
• Extent and relevance of understanding of FSN governance and of the CFS;
• Extent and relevance of experience in drafting reports and in analyzing information for a wide audience;
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing meetings, seminars and capacity development activities.
• Ability to mobilize resources;
• Working knowledge (level C) in Spanish and/or French is considered a strong asset.