The Country Representative (CR) is responsible for managing and advancing the mission and objectives of CRS within the country. S/he provides strategic leadership for staff, programs and partnerships. The CR is also responsible for advancing CRS' reputation and impact within the country and for monitoring and mitigating risks and liabilities.
Position Scope and Scale:
CRS began working in Zambia in 2000 at the invitation of the Zambian Conference of Catholic Bishops. CRS’ initial work included strengthening and enhancing partnerships with the local church and development partners and supporting community development initiatives in Zambia. Over the past 20 years, CRS has supported local partners in responding to repeated shocks – including floods, severe droughts and the devastating HIV and AIDS epidemic. In 2003, CRS became one of the pioneer partners under the President’s Emergency Plan f or AIDSRelief (PEPFAR) in the fight against HIV and AIDS and has continued to strengthen health systems within Zambia under this initiative and with the support of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
CRS employs an integrated human development approach to help poor and vulnerable people lead full and productive lives. CRS implements programs in partnership with a variety of stakeholders, including the local Church, the Government of Zambia, faith-based institutions, other local and community-based organizations, and communities. CRS Zambia currently works with the people of Zambia to tackle poverty on several fronts including: improving health systems; improving access to HIV and AIDS testing and treatment services; increasing access to water and sanitation; promoting nutrition-sensitive agriculture to enhance food and nutrition security; improving the quality of care for vulnerable children; strengthening early childhood programming; and improving the eco nomic wellbeing of households through savings groups.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
* English required
* Frequent travel required within the country
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Regional Director, Deputy Regional Directors for Program/ Management Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, Overseas Support Department, Program Innovation & Quality Assurance, Human Resources, Finance, Charitable Giving, Mission & Mobilization.
External: Government of Zambia, national and local level officials from Catholic Church, US government, various United Nations organizations, other donor governments, implementing partner organizations, as well as key visitors from the USCCB and CRS partner organizations
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
* Master's degree in International Development or a relevant field
* 10 or more years' experience managing complex relief and development programs
* Demonstrated experience with USG resources; familiarity with USG regulations
* Experience managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors
* Results driven; able to set and achieve ambitious goals and instill confidence
* Strong interpersonal skills; able to cultivate strong relationships while working with a wide range of individuals in and outside the agency
* Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences
* Proactive; willing and able to take on additional responsibility, challenge assumptions and facilitate change
* Discerning; able to maintain focus and provide good judgment amidst complexity and uncertainty
* Develops others; excellent listener who is able to coach and mentor
* Aligned; able to support and champion the mission, vision, and values of CRS
* Strategic and innovative thinker; able to formulate guiding questions, leverage resources and find creative solutions
Agency-wide Competencies: (based on the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS; to be exemplified by all staff in fulfillment of his or her respective roles and responsibilities)
* Accountability and Stewardship
* Build Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Continuous Improvement and Innovation
* Strategic Mindset
Position Specific Competencies:
* Leads toward Strategic Results
* Manages Risk and Complexity
* Represents and Partners Strategically
* Champions Learning and Performance
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principle s of CRS and used by each staff working in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Communicates strategically under pressure
* Manages stress and complexity
* Actively promotes safety and security
* Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular tradition s who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.