Individual Consultant – Technical Expert_Forward Linkage – Bangalore, Karnataka
The DAY-NRLM (Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission) is the flagship program of Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India relaunched in 2016 for promoting poverty reduction by building strong institutions of the poor, particularly women. The programme creates and enables community owned institutions of women to empower and make them economically self-reliant by improving their agency to access a range of livelihood and financial services and maximize their resources for creating sustainable livelihood opportunities.
The state governments are mandated to set up dedicated Mission Management Units at the state, district and village/community level for the effective implementation of the NRLM scheme. The mission provides regular hand-holding support to SHG/federations for a period of 5-7 years. At the end of a fully implementation cycle the SHGs/federations are well prepared to become resource institutions at the community level for providing evidence and support to other social initiatives.
Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society (KSRLPS)
The State Government is implementing DAY-NRLM scheme in phases through Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society in the name of “Sanjeevini”. The mission statement of KSRLPS is: “To reduce rural poverty by providing gainful wage and self-employment opportunities through community institutions resulting in sustainable improvement in their livelihoods”.
Sanjeevini is a community driven and process-oriented programme. The processes include different activities such as awareness building, social mobilization, development of Community Resource persons (CRPs). Formation of CBOs, strengthening SHGs/ CBOs/federations/Livelihood Collectives, establishment of linkages and promotion of livelihoods. The conventional methods of monitoring focuses on physical, financial and logistic aspects of projects, but do not capture the processes of community perception, satisfaction with project services, inclusion and institutional dynamics. As the community processes do not conform to pre-set rules, deadlines, targets or blueprint approaches, a responsive and adaptive implementation is necessary.
It is in this context that the State government of Karnataka has partnered with UNDP to implement National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP) in Karnataka. NRETP proposes to implement higher order economic activities which are cross cutting in nature, for instance, the project design envisages that there will be an organic link between the model Cluster Level Federation (CLFs) and financial inclusion strategies, insurance and pension schemes, producer groups and organisations, product marketing and enterprise development. The financial inclusion strategy will also have a key role in financing of farm and non-farm enterprises. UNDP will be uniquely positioned to quickly transfer the technical know-how gained at the national and state level working across the country. The state SMMU will be fully synchronized with the National level team working at the centre, important for better alignment of state priorities with those of the national programme while formulating the State specific poverty reduction action plans.
Under the scheme, UNDP is looking for a Technical Expert_Forward Linkage to undertake the activities as provided below. The incumbent will be based at KSRLPS and will perform duties under the direct supervision of the Mission Director and Senior Technical Expert Forward linkage KSRLP, Government of Karnataka.
Duties and Responsibilities
nder the supervision of the Mission Director the incumbent will focus on achievement of the following results:
- Planning, execution and monitoring of the sanctioned value chain development projects / SRLM interventions through regular field visit and review
- Mapping of value chains, analyzing value chain competitiveness, project strategy, business plans, and standard operating processes for Producer Enterprises and Producer Groups.
- Maintain information regarding produce of the SHG members, markets (prices and trends), and commodity-wise details.
- Identifying institutional buyers / local buyers, conducting buyer seller meets
- Development of new proposals in value chain development -
- Development of intervention strategy, business plan and execution plans for Value Chain development interventions
- Close handholding, capacity building and support to Producer Enterprise staff.
- Timely review of the performance of all Producer Enterprises and Producer Groups promoted by the SRLM
- Developing and executing capacity building plans for the project staff and community members on farm livelihoods and value chain development
- Develop manuals and guidelines to facilitate implementation of value chain development. Also, facilitate workshops, consultations necessary for developing the same.
- Identify and document best practices in value chain development under farm livelihoods initiatives
- Co-ordination with the Technical Support Agencies for development and implementation of value chain development proposals.
- Ensuring data collection and entry into MIS for monitoring and evaluation of value chain interventions
Any other task assigned by reporting officer.
- Experience in setting up a business / vertical in corporate agribusiness company/ start-up environment.
- Experience in setting up systems and processes to increase efficiency, profitability of the business Knowledge, skills and ability to use a variety of communication methods, tools and media
- Knowledge of supply chain management, designing procurement operations, project management.
- Familiarity with mutual assistance principles, functioning of cooperatives or other community-based business enterprises, governance mechanisms for Producer Companies would be preferred.
- Good data analysis and conceptualization skills
- Ability to write concept notes, proposals etc., and make effective presentations
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with Government Agencies and private sector organizations
- Proven ability to coordinate the work of others and to work as part of a team and share knowledge with others
- Effective Teamwork with conflict resolution skills
Demonstrated openness to change and ability to manage complex situations.
Required Skills and Experience
Postgraduate in Agri-business management / Rural Management / Rural Marketing or MBA in Marketing from a reputed university/institute. Candidate with PG in agriculture or veterinary science is desirable.
- Should have an experience of minimum 5 years in handling value chain development/ market linkage for agriculture produce. She/he should have experience of procurement and marketing of specific agri-commodity in large scale
- Candidate with experience in managing agriculture commodity supply chain in companies engaged in agribusiness, P&L handling experience in a corporate environment would be preferred.
- Candidate with experience in enterprise promotion, business advisory services, forward and backward linkages for large agriculture-based businesses would be given priority.
- Should have handled procurement / marketing / supply chain for vertical of at least INR 2 crores turnover annually.
- P&L handling experience for the vertical / business / product line.
- Experience of starting a business / vertical within a corporate environment would be preferred.
- Proven experience of leading professional staff and builds their initiative and enables them to function as members of efficient and effective teams
- Developed and managed partnerships in market side, supply side, better technologies
- Demonstrable experience of project management, ensuring the delivery of high-quality programmes as well as managing internal learning processes across virtual teams
- Managed a team of at least 5 members.
Duration of The Work:
The contract will be awarded for one year initially. Working days will be as per the State Government/KSRLPS policy.
In case of official journey within/outside the state, candidates will be entitled to reimbursement from KSRLPS. All official travel must be authorised and certified in advance by KSRLPS.
Languages Required: Fluency in English spoken, read and write for all official communication is essential and Kannada Preferable.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
Consolidated annual consultancy fees (Remuneration) of INR 8,40,000/- payable in equal monthly instalments of INR 70,000/- upon submission of monthly progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP on behalf of the KSRLPS
- The consultant should report to the Mission Director, KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- All the logistic support related official travel will be borne by the KSRLPS
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non encashable) Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non encashable). The accumulated leaves will be forfeited on the termination/further extension of the contract period.
Personal CV indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and atleast 3 professional references.
Evaluation Method and criteria
Preliminary shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 30 marks.
- Relevant Experience 40 marks.
- Interview for 30 marks
Those who obtain a minimum 70% of total 70 marks (Educational Qualification & Relevant Experience) will be eligible to appear for the interview.
Interview for the shortlisted candidates would be either conducted face to face in Bangalore or by telephone/over skype.
The contract shall be awarded on the merit basis.
Note: Please ensure that all the documents to be uploaded should be combined in a single PDF file before uploading as the system has provision of uploading only one document.
General Conditions for Individual Contract-http://www.in.undp.org/content/dam/india/docs/procurement/UNDP%20General%20Conditions%20for%20Individual%20Contracts.pdf
For any clarifications, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence