Finance and Administration Assistant, EU-FSM SEAM Project
- Pohnpei-based position
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Micronesia Regional Office (MRO) situated in Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), is the main hub for SPC's projects and partnerships with the Micronesian members of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), the Republic of Palau, and the United States territories of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), and Guam. The MRO opened in January 2006.
The role – the Finance & Administrative Assistant – EU FSM SEAM Project will assist with the overall administration of the project activities in the Federated States of Micronesia and coordinate duties associated with the project including travel by project staff, compiling all data for reporting and inputting to project databases. He/she will assist with financial accounting, acquittals, preparation of procurement and contracting documents, and compilation of all supporting documentation.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Assist with the overall administration of the project, including the overall coordination and documentation of all the project activities, as well as technical support of project activities to achieve project objectives, outputs, and outcomes
- Assist with coordination and documentation of all the project activities and with the regular updating of work plans
- Assist project staff in the preparation and dissemination of project reports and communication materials to stakeholders
- Assist with arranging and participating in project meetings, including teleconferences, and preparation of meeting minutes
- Assist with inputting data to project databases as well as with daily operational procedures
- Assist with arrangements for travel by project team and all coordination and logistical arrangements for project meetings
- Assist with aspects of travel arrangements for the project team, including obtaining itineraries, completing travel forms on TMS, ticketing, protocol letters, and ensuring all documentation is complete after travel missions are completed
- Assist with the organization of all project-related meetings including travel for participants and logistical arrangements
- Assist with arrangement of project events taking into account SPC and EU visibility requirements
- Assist with financial accounting, acquittals, preparation of procurement and contracting documents, and compilation of all supporting documentation
- Assist with accounting and acquittal work, purchase orders, and compilation of all supporting documentation
- Assist with preparation, delivery and documentation of procurement tasks
- Assist with preparation of asset registers for each state
- Liaise with vendors as required
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- University degree in business administration, accounting, financial management or a related field
- Technical expertise
- At least 3 years’ experience in administration and accounting in a large organization including experience with project management, information systems and financial management
- Experience with procurement procedures
- Understanding of project budgeting, financial reporting, donor reporting, audit requirements
- Knowledge of budgetary and administrative processes in PICTs and working directly with PICTs in project environments
- Sound coordination, administrative, networking, and collaborative skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Language skills
- Fluency in English (written and verbal)
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- A proactive and positive team player able to work effectively in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Finance and Administrative Assistant – EU FSM SEAM Project is a Band 4 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a starting taxable salary range of USD 1,764–2,205 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Please note that applicants must be FSM Nationals currently residing in the country, or hold the proper work permit for salaried employment there.
Closing date: 31st January 2021 – 11:00 pm Pohnpei time.
Job Reference: AL000354
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
- Please list what you consider are the necessary attributes of a Finance and Administrative Assistant and explain how you fulfil each trait. Please list and describe at least 3-5 necessary traits.
- Please describe an example of when you were responsible for organizing travel and logistics for a conference or meeting. Please specify the steps required to prepare for the conference or meeting.
- Please describe your experience in financial administration and procurement.
JD Finance and Administration Assistant_HR.docx