National Lead Expert on Water Issues
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan is planning to implement the “Improved water governance: towards sustainable agricultural development” project under Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP). The main goal of the project is to support the Government of Azerbaijan in establishing a sustainable national water governance system through strengthened national capacities, improved coordination among stakeholders and adoption of efficient irrigation technologies. The impacts of the project will include improved agricultural productivity and food security, increased conservation of land and water resources, and resilience of agriculture to impacts of climate change
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev , Assistant to the FAO Representative
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, direct supervision of AFAOR, technical supervision of the project LTO and National Project Coordinator (NPC) and in close collaboration with the FAO-Azerbaijan office, national counterparts, and stakeholders, the national long-term expert will perform following duties:
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide expertise and knowledge on water-related organizations, governmental bodies, agencies and other stakeholders on national and local levels in Azerbaijan;
- Provide key sectoral data on roles and responsibilities of individual organizations and relationships between them;
- Support the national and international experts on water policy and legislation in identifying key gaps and opportunities for improvement;
- Coordinate with national and international experts, NPC and LTO and provide local expertise in preparation and delivery of the workshop on devising water governance strategies on macro, meso and micro levels;
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for collaboration and development of strategic partnerships between the organizations;
- Collaborate with the Service Provider, technical officers and international experts and provide substantive support for development of sustainable irrigation systems;
- Support the drafting of project interim and final reports;
- Identify potential areas of improvement for use of water in agriculture through Gap Analysis;
- Support the development of the optimal irrigation model for the pilot area;
- Carry out the assessment of the current and future availability of water, land and ecological resources;
- Assist in drafting of the Water Governance Strategy;
- Support the development of the project concept on smart Artesian wells network;
- Perform any other tasks upon request.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as water management, water resource policy , irrigation technologies or other relevant field related to this contract or a bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline as described before and 3 years above the required general professional experience in a field related to this contract;
- Professional experience of at least 10 years working in the area of research and development or policy advisory in the agriculture and water governance
- Good spoken and written English and Azerbaijani;
- Working knowledge of other UN language is an asset and knowledge of Russian is an advantage.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly
- Gap Analysis (legislation and future availability of water, land and ecological resources; 30 days)
- Assessment of the current and future availability of water, land and ecological resources (50 days)
- Workshop on development water governance strategy ( 15 days)
- Drafting of the Water Governance Strategy (25 days)
- Professional experience in developing training/workshop content and/or delivering training on devising water governance strategies
- Professional experience in having developed and/or delivered strategic plans and irrigation models
- Good networking skills and understanding the field at national and local level;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.