Specialist for Strategic Regional Support
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean is responsible for the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. RLC delivers its multidisciplinary support to the countries of the region by its three regional initiatives, which coordinate thematic areas and cooperate closely with sub-regional and country offices. The Regional Initiative 1 seeks to create Sustainable food systems to provide healthy diets for all, by providing a better supply and access to varied, nutritious and safe diets, and increasing consumer awareness. The initiative’s activities in the region, designed in biennial work plans, constantly monitored and periodically reported.
The consultant for Strategic Regional Support shall report to the FAO Food Systems Policy Officer, and shall work in close coordination with the Senior Policy Officer and teams that are part of the RI1. The consultant shall form part of the management team of Regional Initiative 1: Sustainable food systems to provide healthy diets for all, and of the Policy and Trade Team of Regional Initiative 1.
Planning, monitoring and reporting the results of IR1 in business processes, coordinating information and program progress, and providing technical and operational support to the teams and thematic areas that make up the Regional Initiative 1.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Leads the planning, monitoring and reporting internal and corporate processes, and coordinates and consolidates the information on progress in results and projects of Regional Initiative 1 and its thematic teams, creating analysis and methodology tools and reports on the state of implementation of Initiative’s programme.
- Follows the implementation of programmatic approach and development of the new Strategic Framework, and support its uptake in the Regional Initiative 1 and Trade Policy team
- Supports the efficient coordination of activities and coherence with other Regional Initiatives, including efficient communication and information flow with other teams in the modular organization system.
- Supports the RI 1`s team in the analyses and monitoring of the data and information, as well as pandemic-related impacts on food systems
- Participates in producing technical, economic and policy studies and products as required by Senior Policy Officer and Food Systems Policy Officer.
- Provides technical assistance in the elaboration of support material about the Policy and Trade Team activities for strategic alliances with regional institutions.
- Technically supports in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of technical cooperation programmes. Likewise, on initiatives related to international trade, provide technical support for the design and motoring of the work plans associated with these initiatives
- Follows the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on international trade, tendencies of trade policies and publications, and knowledge products of relevant regional institutions, and prepares support material to Senior Policy Officer.
- Support the follow-up of the United Nations reform
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in development studies, international relations, political science or international studies
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience in management, monitoring or evaluations of projects and programs, and international relations
- Experience with international, regional or national organisations in the area of food security and nutrition, trade or food systems
- Experience with databases, information systems, research and international knowledge and data platforms
- Working knowledge (level C) of English is required.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Spanish is desirable.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in Food Systems
- Extent and relevance of experience in International Trade
- Familiarity with Healthy Diets
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency