Communications and Reporting Assistant 1
Job Title: Communications and Reporting Assistant
Job Level: SC-5 (Service Contract) │ National Position
Number of openings: 01
Unit/ Division: Communication, Advocacy and Marketing (CAM)
Contract duration: 12 months
Duty station: Maroua
Assisting almost 100 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Cameroon, the WFP Cameroon Country Strategic Plan [CSP] (2018 – 2021) endeavours to ensure that targeted food-insecure and vulnerable populations benefit from more sustainable and inclusive food systems and increased resilience to shocks to meet their food and nutrition needs. Under this CSP, WFP will design and implement interventions to address food and nutrition security challenges, from production through to consumption.
In line with the CSP, WFP will apply its vast comparative advantages including experiences in delivery of food assistance to hundreds of thousands of the most vulnerable in timely, innovative, cost effective and sustainable ways, its deep field presence, logistics and supply chain, partnerships and relationships with national and regional authorities to; a) strengthen national systems and capacities to deliver food and nutrition security; b) contribute to greater efficiency in crisis response interventions; c) ensure access to nutritious food rather than provision while building the national capacities and systems for social protection, emergency preparedness and response and government-led programmes and services; and d) increase resilience by focusing on food systems rather than access to food, through development of integrated solutions that can be scaled up by Government and the private sector.
WFP in the Far North operates through its Field Offices in Maroua (Far North), two antennas in Mokolo and Kousseri to ensure proximity with the beneficiaries. This position will be based in Maroua.
What will you do?
You will provide support to the implementation of the country communications plan and reporting on WFP interventions in the Cameroon’s Far North Region.
Why work with us?
- WFP provides food assistance to more than 86 million people in 83 countries, including Cameroon. Your work will have a positive impact on lives of the world’s most vulnerable people.
- You will join a diverse team of professionals and will have an opportunity to exchange your experiences with your colleagues and continuously learning from each other.
- WFP invests in the training and development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, mentorship and other programs as well as through international mobility opportunities.
- Our team is growing nationally and internationally and the timing to join us cannot be better!
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
Key Responsibilities (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
At this position, you will:
- Support the production of high-quality communications material for dissemination across WFP’s channels (social media, etc.) as guided by the national Communication Advocacy and Marketing strategy, and in line with the branding guidelines of the organisation.
- Provide coordination, administrative and specialised services, to support staff in the development, preparation and execution of communications campaigns for target audiences.
- Execute communication plans for different stakeholders of WFP’s interventions in the Far North Region.
- Monitor and coordinate materials, schedules, facilities and clearances, and provide support for special events, and video/film, photographic and radio projects.
- Conduct clearly defined research and prepare reports and provide data that enables informed decision-making
- Monitor traditional and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of communications activities and strategies.
- Under clear guidance, prepare content for traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages and standards.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and cooperating partners within the specified technical area.
- Manage and maintain records and databases, such as journalist and media outlet contact lists, to ensure steady flow of accurate information in line with the country CAM strategy.
- Respond to a variety of queries and requests for support, following standard processes, and obtain guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
- Liaise with WFP staff and the media in a timely manner, to support aligned activities and an effective approach to communications within WFP.
Qualifications and Key Requirements
Education: Completion of secondary school education (GCE A Level or Baccalaureat). A post-high school certificate in communication and reporting related discipline is desirable.
- 3 years of professional experience in Communication or any related field;
- Demonstrated ability to perform routine communication, techniques and activities in line with set operating standards through day to day work;
- Written and oral communication skills, including substantive analysis and report writing skills;
- Creativity and ability to anticipate deadlines, and plan tasks accordingly;
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative work teams as well as ability to work independently and show initiative;
- Previous experience working with humanitarian sector will be a nice to have;
- Experience with MS Office packages with advanced knowledge of excel, word, and access;
- Experience with Video and Photo editing software is a nice to have;
Language: Fluency in one official language (English or French) and working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of local languages is a nice to have.
Deadline for application : Date: 20th January 2021 at 11:59 PM.
This position open to Cameroonian nationals only.
Terms and Conditions
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting an inclusive work environment in which diversity is valued and where no form of discrimination is tolerated. We aim to achieve parity in our teams in West and Central Africa.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.