Local Security Assistant
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security Adviser (SA), Field Security Coordination Officer R (FSCO) and Local Security Assistant (LSA); the Local Security Assistant (LSA) assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the region of assignment
Summary of key functions:
- Assists CSA/FSOC/LSA in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the Area of Responsibility (AoR);
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan(s), including updating staff lists;
- Supports the CSA/FSOC/LSA with the monitoring of the security measures implementation as recommended in the Security Risks Management (SRM) process ) for the AoR;
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets;
- Organizes and delivers training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
- Assists in monitoring the implementation of the (Residential Security Measures office safety and security preparedness;
- Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSOC/LSA;
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assists the P/C/D/SA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the AoR:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the CSA/FSOC/LSA;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the CSA/FSOC/LSA, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at A/SMT meetings, in the absence of the CSA/FSOC/LSA.
Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
Assists the CSA/FSOC/LSA with the monitoring of the security measures implementation as recommended in the Security Risks Management (SRM) process ) for the Area of Responsibility
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CSA/FSOC/LSA:
- Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (- Residential Security Measures - RSM) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSOC/LSA:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity:
Planning and Organizing - Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Creativity - Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Teamwork - Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Communication - Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Required Skills and Experience
High School education required.
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
A minimum of 5 years (High School) or 2 years (University Degree) of experience in security, preferably in the military or police or security related context/related field of work is required.
Other skills and requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security and protection is considered as an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.