Junior Consultant (Chinese National Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work on (i) enhancing women's economic empowerment; (ii) ending violence against women; and (iii) innovative work to address gender issues in China. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific programme areas.
The needs on different aspects of communication work including through external channels and internal reporting are growing. Strong visibility and branding are very key to mobilize resources and position the organization better in the country, region, and global level. These require that the UN Women China Office has comparable capacity to meet the growing needs and to provide evidence-based communications and advocacy though our daily work, plan innovative campaigns, strengthen media outreach, also give support to different programme teams and strategic partnerships development.
UN Women China office is seeking to recruit a Junior Communications Consultant, whose duties are as articulated below. Under the guidance and supervision of Communications Officer, the Junior Consultant is expected to provide high quality support to the office communications work that is consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The consultant also works in close collaboration with different programme team to exchange information and support the programme news story social media publishing and so on.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Officer, the Junior Consultant will be responsible on developing in-depth and creative information and communication content for social media channels, editorial texts, providing event and campaign support, also do translations when needed. Among others, some essential duties and tasks will be:
- Provide support to UN Women China public campaigns and events.
- Responsible on the draft development of the content (text, photo, video) for UN Women China social media channels under the supervision of the Communications Officer.
- Support the development and dissemination of branding and awareness-raising materials.
- Collection of information on the results of communication activities, including statistics and media reports.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Duration of Assignment
From 22 February 2021 to 6 August 2021.
Area of work
Providing support to the IWD campaigns including communications visual materials design and development.
Campaign report (10%)
Online influencers and potential media partners mapping.
Partners mapping. (10%)
30 May, 2021
Providing support to Generation Equality relevant campaign (e.g., Unpaid Care Work. COVID recovery) including communications visual materials design and development.
Communications visual materials design. (20%)
20 June, 2021
UN Women China social media content draft and update.
UN Women China social media content draft and update. (60%)
6 August, 2021
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or other advanced degree in one or more of the following disciplines: social sciences, international development, media and/or communications with one-year relevant experience is required.
- Native Chinese with proficiency in English writing and translation.
- Demonstrated knowledge on using/editing public social media platform is a must.
- Demonstrated abilities and track record developing high quality communications materials, preferably within the UN system is preferred.
- Competent user of design software such as Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and InDesign is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge, awareness, and sensitivity on gender issues is a plus.
The candidates will be evaluated based on the following criteria: (i) educational background and work experience as reflected in their CV; (ii) writing samples; and (iii) financial proposal, which includes daily consultancy rate. The evaluation will be based on the combination of the weighted technical and financial scores (70 per cent technical and 30 per cent financial). The evaluation methods include desk review and interview.
How to apply
Interest candidates must include (as one attachment) below listed documents. Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment.
- Personal History Form (P11) ( https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558)
- Motivation letter to briefly explain why you are suitable for this consultancy and cite relevant experience
- Sample of the writing and design work
- Financial proposal: the financial proposal shall specify a daily fee