Head of Programmes
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: "Zero Hunger by 2030" - If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Head of Programmes*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Bujumbura, Burundi.
As Head of Programmes you will support the development, implementation and monitoring of Welthungerhilfe's multiannual country programme in Burundi. You will maximise the impact of Welthungerhilfe on the basis of Welthungerhilfe’s strategy and quality standards. The Burundi programme mainly focuses on the thematic sectors of Sustainable Food and Nutrition Security (SFNS) and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) through a rural development and climate change adaptation approach.
- Contribute towards the definition and orientation of the planned multiannual programme strategy in Burundi
- Identify, examine and assess (pre-select) new project ideas on the basis of the intervention strategy, the concept papers and the orientation framework of the country programme
- Ensure the consideration of feasibility, sustainability and exit strategies of the projects
- Identify co-financing opportunities and negotiate with donors in agreement with the Country Director and Head Office
- Further develop partnership cooperation and ensure active collaboration with partner organizations
- Ensure reporting (status and financial reports) occurs correctly and in due time to Welthungerhilfe Head Office and to donors
- Monitor the humanitarian situation in-country and the evolution of possible crises through early warning indicators
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are incorporated into existing programmes and projects
- Represent Welthungerhilfe vis-à-vis other national and international, governmental and non-governmental bodies as well as relief and development organizations
- A university or polytechnic degree in humanitarian/development studies or an equivalent degree related to the position
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant working and leadership experience in a similar position within an INGO (regional working experience would be an asset)
- EU donor experience would be an advantage
- Good knowledge of planning and survey methods (incl. M&E)
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills
- Ability to work under time pressure and high workload
- Ability to work in an insecure environment and commit to strict security regulations
- Excellent spoken and written English and French; German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by January 31, 2021. Your contact person is Ina Stepka.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.