Background Information - UNOPS
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Philippines
UNOPS Philippines was established in early 2016 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS' growing portfolio of programmes and projects in the Philippines. The office currently provides implementation services to a range of projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Government and the Supreme Court focusing on the Governance/Justice, health and infrastructure sector.
The office is based in Manila, Philippines with a project side in the Guiuan area.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners and is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job SpecificThe SUBATRA (2020 - 2025) contract is part of a EU-funded large scale programme “Support to Bangsamoro Transition”. The project is aiming to achieve a smooth and timely implementation of the transition in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) and also strengthen the capacity of the Justice System and CSOs to contribute to a peaceful transition.
The objective of the contract is to strengthen the capacity of the new Bangsamoro Transition
Authority, established by the Organic Law for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim
Mindanao ratified on January 21st, 2019, to efficiently handle the transition as per peace process
instrument and Bangsamoro Transition Plan provisions.
A particular focus is placed on capacity building of the transitional government’s superstructure to formulate, implement and monitor transitional policies, capacity building of key governance ministries to deliver basic social services and promote an enabling good governance environment and capacity building of the Parliament to exercise its legislative, oversight and representation functions.
Areas of support to be provided by the technical assistance include institution and capacity
building (including public administration and civil service reforms), public policy development,
legal development, human resources development, knowledge and IT tools for governmental
UNOPS is considered within the EC proposal to be an indirect management entity responsible for the infrastructure and logistics support to Outputs 1,2,3 and 4 of the project.
The Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for all the tasks associated with the need assessment, evaluation, installations, training, commissioning and testing of the medical equipment, furniture and appliances that are to be purchased by Philippine office as health related projects/programs.
The specific tasks will include:
- Review and consolidate the equipment lists by type of service. Review their operational performances, and make recommendations
- Support in the preparation and revision of the technical specifications and bill of quantities are to be incorporated into the tender documents of the medical equipment to be procured under the project
- Support in the preparation of the technical requirements for the installation of the equipment.
- Support in the planning of the logistic of delivery and installation
- Take part in the bid evaluation process in the supplier selections for the medical equipment supply and installation services
- Verifications of imported medical equipment for specification compliance prior to installations.
- Support in the supervision of installation of the medical equipment/systems ensuring the works are carried out as per the design specifications and contracts administrations of installation works
- Checking and certifying of contractor’s progress payment claims in respect of medical equipment items
- Support in the supervision of testing and commissioning of medical equipment/systems on completion of installations, and the preparation of the commissioning and client’s hand-over reports.
- Prepare work progress reports and contract close-out reports.
- Support in the supervision of training of the medical staff on operation and maintenance tasks, and records keeping
- Review the medical assets/systems operational performances produce reports and follow up on any warranty maintenance as required.
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment/systems installed under the project, and issue to the client on project completion.
- Any other business as directed by the Programme Manager.
- Promote and follow-up medical equipment related projects in the Country.
- Travel to project sites if required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
- Consolidated quarterly progress reports
- Prepare and maintain an inventory list of medical equipment
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
- Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment
- Complete operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced Degree or equivalent preferably in Biomedical Engineering or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years’ of experience in bio medical Engineering or related field may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced university degree.
- At least two (2) years of graduate-level experience (or more depending on academic credentials) in medical equipment management, purchase and/or installation and maintenance management.
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset
- Good knowledge of the local and international medical Rules and Regulations is an asset.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of G Suite is desirable.
- Experience in Contract Management is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 9/ ICS 9
- Contract duration: Open-ended.
- Position duration: This is a 6 month position from the start date to July 2021 and the extension is subject to the organization's need, budget availability and satisfactory performance.
- Duty station: Guiuan, Eastern Samar, the Philippines. Guiuan is a family duty station.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.